My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Notices
Formula

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Old 07-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Befu,
I have a similar 350, started as a 98 truck motor. I have ran 50 weight synthetic in it, but have since switched to 10-40w synthetic. When priming the engine with a drill, I got very little oil out of the pushrods even when turning the motor over by hand. I think 50w is probably a little heavy for the stock lifters, but not so bad that it won't flow.

I didn't read your whole post (sorry but that would be a lot of reading haha), but are you saying even with the engine running and up to temp you are getting no oil out of one pushrod? If that is the case, maybe a that lifter is clogged up or the push rod is? Once the oil is hot, it should flow pretty constant.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put in new lifters and rockers, changed push rods. NO oil to any rockers after cranking several times and letting it run for 3 minutes on the hose.

Other engine has oil to rockers, maybe just loose enough that it works?

I am going to try some mobil 1 5w-30 and see if that works better before ripping it apart again. Of course now, the lifters are full of 50 weight, so who knows how fast it will work through.

Brian
Old 07-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gotcha, maybe you could pour a little oil over each rocker so they don't starve and then let it run till its warmed up (as long as oil pressure is good). With 30 weigh oil it should flow freely.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Registered

Alright, not much done but I have made progress! Lately, we have had bunches O rain around here and the lake I run on was reduced to an idle speed. Kind of took the pressure off to get the fixes done and I have been busy with other things, but speed restrictions gone and I think I am ready again!

Broken water transfer tube: So yeah, this little piece of plastic about killed me. Of course, you have to remove the drive, bell housing which means cut the bellows and remove the old transfer tube. Well, I am this far into it, I ended up ordering new shift cable kit with bellows, new U-joint bellows, new external water hose and that is about it since the water pump and gimble bearing were replaced this year already. Now I know this system works, but that designer is a sadistic SOB, let me tell you that. Getting all that crap back in there and the clamps tightened up! YIKES! I was ready for a center console with a couple egg beaters on it. Either way, I finally got it back together this past week. I reused the old transfer tube from my original transom assemblies that had been attacked by the salt water when the boat was in New York. They were nice solid brass or bronze ones, not the white plastic. Either way, all back together, I just have to adjust the trim sender and limit pucks. Ran it this weekend and got the shift cables all adjusted, seems to work well. Water test needed to see if anything further needs to be done.

No motor oil to Rockers on starboard motor: So I took others advice and drained about 4 quarts out of the motor, and replaced it with mobil 1 5w-30. With the boat home, I ran it on the hose last night and this morning some, finally got oil to come out of the rockers. Over all, I dribbled them with oil about three times before I saw it oozing out of the pushrod holes. Definately didn't come out fast, but it did come out. And when I revved the motor up to 2k rpm, I did see oil droplets spray about 18" in each direction. So I suspect it will get better, but everything will also get coated with oil when running.

So, that is about it. I am currently draining some of the 50w oil out of the port motor to add thinner mobil 1 to that also. Then I need gas. And plate stickers since I lost my trailer plate registration before I put the sticker on the plate. Ughh, hopefully I run this thing before the end of August!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Registered

Wow, been two years since an update.

After getting the engines ready in August of 2015, didn't get a chance to run it again. barely had it on the water and ended up putting it away.

2016 was busy camping, a couple of great foster kids and cold. We never even got the boat in the water. Ran it on the hose once rechecking the timing at up to 3,000 rpm. Neighbors thought I was crazy on that one. But that was all I did with it all year. Put it away and it sat again.

2017: Finally ran the boat. Have had it out on Wawasee three times now. First time did pretty good, but starboard drive sounded odd. But the boat started well, behaved and didn't have any real problems. Daughter asked at one point where is the water coming from?" I am thinking, lake? Where else. Then I realize she is pointing to the floor by my feet under the dash. Umm.... ???? yep, speedometer tube cracked and was leaking water under the panel. So idled to sand bar and went swimming. broke the water tube off of the pickup since it isn't accurate anyways and went boating again. Boat shifted great, no problems with the new shift cables. But idling around the starboard motor does get warm after awhile, so needed to check that one out.

Moved my air fuel meter to the starboard engine for the second run and it was lean. Didn't run it much as it was way to lean, so idled around and went swimming. Starboard carb stills bogs when the secondaries open for a few seconds, then they go. So back in the shop I opened up my "national carburetor" carbs with a life time warranty. There is a bunch of crap in the carb! The primary metering rods were not even moving, the piston was stuck in the bore. So I cleaned it out the best I could, got the metering rods so they move. Blasted out a few passages. Also pulled the accelerator pump and found the little clip that holds the needle to the float arm down in there. National Carburetor did not do a good job on this one. Back together and run it again.

Third time out and it did pretty well. Still lean at idle and off idle. But now when I get it to 2800 to 3300 it is running around 13.3 to 1. Shifted fine, everything worked well, went swimming and met another 272LS owner out on Wawasee, a nice blue model. Hitting the secondaries it still bogs, but not as bad. So back at shop I took the carb off and tore it down. Cleaned crap out of it and replaced a needle valve. The two needles were not the same! Yikes, sad workmanship by National Carburetor. Outside looked nice, but found crud in all kinds of spots. And I have one fuel pump going through filters feeding both engines, so not the type of garbage you get from running a few hours. My bilge was cleaner than that carb.

So hopefully we can run it this weekend, it is going to be warm here. Might run down to Salamonie Reservoir and run it out there. Swim at the beach and go paddle boarding also. Maybe try surfing on the second wake with a ski rope. or go tubing. Who knows, but try it and see what the AFR does this time.

The boat is fun to run. Does really well romping along at the top of the primaries and sips fuel. I mean I am surprised how little fuel it has used staying out of the secondaries and it is a nice fun speed. Got some more projects lined up for it this winter, along with camper modifications. My Hydrodyne is also coming along, hope to have it on the water next spring.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Always loved reading your posts glad you are still getting use out of the boat, i think i put 3 hours on the boat this year. Always next year.