382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats) >

382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)

Notices
Formula

382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)

Old 01-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)

The 382 poker run boats ( that seems like what they are called when people are selling them) is it safe to assume they actually are ex-race boats? Or did Formula sell them to people as an option for regular boats?

Are they any different in lay up, hull design, etc, other than the obvious, no cabin, and different dash and cockpit layout?

How much faster are they than a standard full cabin 382?

Ie with like power, a 500hp full cabin vs. a 500hp poker run boat.

Any mph thoughts specifically for a 500 bulldog engined poker run 382?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a difference between the 382 Poker Run Special and a 382 Poker Run Edition. I have the original '99 Poker Run Special that was the marketing boat that Formula first ran in the poker run circuit. It was a full cabin loaded with options and had a mid-rise aluminum fairing, Lingenfelter modified 585hp engines, Stellings boxes, and Dick Simon Marine upgraded Bravo drives. It was eventually sold to a private owner.

There have been several other Poker Run Specials that Formula has put out in subsequent years, most of these were run by Vic Spellberg as Pace Boats for APBA, BWORA, GLSCS, and OPA races and most came with the 6-pack seating with 4 bolsters and rear bench. Cockpit was pretty tight to move around in. They were then offered for sale to private owners after the race and poker run season ended.

I have also been on one of the Poker Run Edition 382's without the cabin and amenities several times. It has a four man cockpit with bolsters and little else. It floated 2-3 inches higher than mine due to significantly less weight. It ran a few mph faster due to better weight/horsepower ratio. The private owner also ran it as a pace boat.

I have seen some of the old race boats and Poker Run Editions for sale recently. I think it would be cool to have one. They can be run pretty hard without having to worry about breaking the china and spilling the wine.

Here are an assortment photos I have of of the Poker Run Specials and Edition:
Attached Thumbnails 382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)-formula-stern-side-view.jpg   382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)-07-382-poker-run.jpg   382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)-amfv2.jpg  

382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)-st.-clair-mi-001.jpg   382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)-st.-clair-mi-005.jpg  

Last edited by RedDog382; 01-29-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More photos:
Attached Thumbnails 382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)-st.-clair-mi-016.jpg   382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)-st.-claire-06-014.jpg   382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)-st.-claire-06-055.jpg  

382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)-stclair07-003.jpg   382 Poker Run boats( no cabin boats)-eagle.jpg  

Last edited by RedDog382; 01-29-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boats I am referring to are more like this one.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...tech-100284492

Obviously this one was a race boat. But I have recently seen others that have more of a normal paint scheme without all the stickers and race numbers that people are selling as "Poker Run" boats. They have no cabins, stand up bolsters up front, most have a fiberglass engine cover with no pad. The instruments in the middle with sort of a center console with the tab/trim switches and throttle/shifters, and no visible cabin door. I assume you need to kneel down and crawl in.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are boats built for Factory 2 racing about 10 years ago. Not all of them were raced, and many have had all the decals removed. Many are lightweight layups with Kevlar and blueprinted bottoms. All are light and fast. The boat in the lower left of both of RedDog382's posts is an example.