2001 292 fASTECH

Notices
Formula

2001 292 fASTECH

Old 02-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 292 fASTECH

OK, ive heard the good and bad, almost seams on the Formula page there is more bad than good with these boats??? Go figure thought that would be the Opposite? I am working a deal about to close this friday on a 2001 292, twin 350mags 336hrs on 1 motor 180 on the other as it was replaced with merc crate motor! No Silent chioce triple axel trailer, owner by a guy who owns a marine service center, with certified merc mechanics! Boat looks well taken care of and the guy has been a pleasure to deal with! Besides slow to plane and prop configuration, give me some real likes, or loves with the boat! im getting this boat under 40k
Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Nothing wrong with the boat.....people just want it bigger/faster/etc. If the thing is in good mechanical/structural condition and it's size fits your needs, buy it and enjoy!!!

(I had a 312 and 382, Formula builds solid boats!!!)
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Pawdog75
OK, ive heard the good and bad, almost seams on the Formula page there is more bad than good with these boats??? Thats crazy. Great boat for what it is intended for

Go figure thought that would be the Opposite? I am working a deal about to close this friday on a 2001 292, twin 350mags 336hrs on 1 motor 180 on the other as it was replaced with merc crate motor! Mine tops out at 69 so far in fresh water, did not wot in the salt

No Silent chiocethey are not that loud straight out the back, I took my silent thunder off triple axel trailer, owner by a guy who owns a marine service center, with certified merc mechanics! Boat looks well taken care of and the guy has been a pleasure to deal with! Besides slow to plane and prop configuration, give me some real likes, or loves with the boat! im getting this boat under 40k
under 40k is a good deal, get a survey

We bought ours right before thanksgiving. Love it. Small enough for the local lake, big enough to cruize the ICW. Not an offshore racing boat, but very sporty, and rides great.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is probably more information on this site for the 292 then on any other Formula model. The reason being, most people on here either own one or have owned one at one point. It's great for the person who wants a quality performance boat but isn't ready or can't yet afford a 353 or 382. It's a solid & proven boat, an attributing factor as to why it outlasted the 312 model.

It's a great boat to introduce yourself with to the Formula family. It's got a few features that are not found in the smaller 271 model, like a built in anchor locker and concealed swim ladder. You also have storage for a bimini top in the engine compartment. You also get the benefits of twins vs single.

Of course its lacks the seperate head and a/c that you can get in the 353 & 382 models, along with the extra cabin room. Although you could overnight on it if needed. You have small blocks instead of big blocks, but that can be a + and -, depends on how you look at it.

Any questions you have, your more then likely going to find it here. If not, contact Formula directly, their CS is known to be one of the best. Doesn't matter if you have a new or older model, they're always willing to help.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheap to run and fix (as compared to B/B )

Slow to plane problem, you can make that better

For the price you are paying any further depreciation will be minimal.

For what it is its a great boat, but if you want an 80 mph boat buy one. it will cost more to try to turn a 292 into one.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

We moved up to our 2008 292 in 2009 from a '93 271 and don't regret the move. The boats are slow to plan but the mid range acceleration is impressive. I had BBlades lab my props to help with the hole shot. They ride well for a 30' boat and handle like it's on rails. The small blacks are easy and inexpensive to work on and best of all, easy on gas compared to twin BB's.

With a decent trailer they are easy to tow with a 3/4 ton vehicle. I tow with a Silverado 2500 HD with Dmax and have no issues at all. I do recommend to have electric over hydraulic trailer brakes as surge brakes are more than a little scary towing ~9,500 lbs.

At K$40, the price is certainly right. However, get a survey to make sure that there are no hidden issues.

Let me know if you have any questions, be glad to help.

Dave
Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Registered

I too, am a new 292 Fastech owner, purchased last labor day after extensive research. Over a couple years, I kept coming back to the 292. I knew it was the right fit for me . And now with gas going to the moon, I know I made the right choice with small blocks.

I love how the boat handles, heavy in rough water, feather-light when you want to air it out and run. The 12" tabs are okay, you'll just have to use them almost all the way down in the rough. Only a couple of issues with this model that are easily righted if you check the threads. No, it isn't a 353 or 38, but for what it is, it hits the mark! An entry level go fast that many will see still out their hammering down, when they are tied up at the dock dreading a fuel up this summer!

Last edited by pondrunner; 02-23-2012 at 10:02 AM.