Notices
Formula

242LS Sunpad

Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts
Default 242LS Sunpad

Fellow Formula owners. Need some help figuring out what to do with my sunpad.

I picked up my '89 in less than perfect shape. The previous owner had the Bravo stolen twice, then got cancer. Decided to let the boat go. I picked the boat up for a song last August.

Spent the weekend cleaning (the bilge is Grade A), and we're actually pretty close to being done. The biggest issue I have it with the sunpad. I took it off the engine hatch... needless to say, it came off in more pieces than it should have!

I'm not a huge fan of the sectioned style of upholstery that Formula did on this boat. Has anyone redone the whole thing in a single color? What about material?

The more I get into this boat, the more I'm totally impressed with Formula. They really seemed to go the extra mile on so many areas. And the little touches are just great! I can't wait to get this girl back on the water.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vinyl is "Nautolex" from "Omnova" you can buy it online. if you Google "Nautolex"; sometimes it is sold as "Boltaflex". Formula says that the white color is specially made for them, but I bet you can find a similar color/style online. Formula will also sell you the white through a dealer.

If the plywood backing is too deteriorated to use, you could replace it with Marine plywood or even StarBoard. Use stainless steel staples when re-covering
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here ya go....check this out
http://m1073.photobucket.com/profile...2HBbQ0f4Dbs%3D
Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I did mine is all white in one piece. I like it a lot better then the muli-section look that formula does. I'll see if I can did up a picture of it.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That would be great. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

Here you go! It's very easy to make it this way. The foam factory is the cheapest place to get the new foam you will need. They will cut it to order.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/opence...ncellfoam.html

As for the vinyl I bought it from McLeod Design, they make the bolsters for formula so the "special" white is the same. I think I paid around $14 a yard after they messed up my order and gave me a deal.
Attached Thumbnails 242LS Sunpad-img_20110714_164846.jpg  

Last edited by endeavour32; 03-25-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks!

Which foam type did you go with? And what's the thickness? Mine was trashed and pretty flat.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

I'm pretty sure I used the HD HQ open cell foam. I think I used 3" on the top and 4" for the front. Even if yours is flat you should still be able to measure it and get a good idea. I have to build another one for my 292. Having it all flat gives you a lot more room, otherwise those angled backs eat up a good portion of the area.