1988 f 223 LS

Notices
Formula

1988 f 223 LS

Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 f 223 LS

Hello all, I'm new here and new to boating. At the end of last summer I picked up the above boat in the turquise color, with less than 500 hours for $9000.00. Used it 5 times before winter, runs about 55 and smooth. Extremely happy with it. My question is, I have through 80% of the formula post and haven't seen one post or talk of the engine I have, mercruiser 5.7 350 magnum. Was it not a popular engine or is it the baby engine for the boat? It runs strong, but I would love more speed.

Also, I too had water under cabin step and I think its coming from windshield seal. Is there a gasket under windshield or do I just mead to take off window and re-silicone under it as well as screws?

Thanks, I have a lot more questions , but I'll start with these.

Rich
Old 03-19-2012, 05:13 AM
Registered

Hey Rich, welcome to OSO! You will find this is a great site for info from alot of guys that have "been there, done that"....lol. It was very common for your boat to come with the 5.7/alpha package and for its power your getting a respectable number out of it. As far as the leak goes my 272 does the same thing and I understand it is common. More than likey its from your windsheild mount holes where it bolts. You could remove it and re gasket it. I never did because I have mine in inside storage year round with a short 1/4 mile tow to the ramp. Im sure some of the more knowledgable guys will chine in and help you out......Brad.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by usmcsrt1

Also, I too had water under cabin step and I think its coming from windshield seal. Is there a gasket under windshield or do I just mead to take off window and re-silicone under it as well as screws?

Thanks, I have a lot more questions , but I'll start with these.

Rich
Keep in mind that there is a small area under the cabin step that is connected via a drain tube to the bilge area in the stern. Water can drain forward if the boat is kept fairly level or even tilted forward. So, before you go through the trouble of windshield sealing, etc., make sure it is not just water coming from the bilge.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Registered

I appreciate the reply. Does anyone know if its an actual gasket under the window or just a bunch of silicone/sealant???
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Registered

I keep it at a pretty good tilt (bow raised) and when the wife was washing the top area near windshield, she witnessed it coming through into cabin and onto lowest part of floor in cabin below the step. What's funny, while she was detailing the boat, she pulled off a cover at the very front of the cabin near bow, which we thought was a wall, and low and behold, there were two speakers and an open compartment to very front of bow point. Lol. We had no idea.

Last edited by usmcsrt1; 03-19-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most 223's came with 454/330hp combo, runs 62mph with that combo
Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a seal under the window from the factory. You can either go to Home Depot or what ever and grab some of that grey window gasket stuff that is used to keep the cold out of the house, or do what I did and use 4200 to lock it bowl and it won't loosen up that way. I did not tighten my screws all the way tell the 4200 cured a little bit. That way I did not squeeze out all thte 4200 and had a little bit of cusion. I could not beleive how much of a difference it made in how the boat felt.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:59 AM
Registered

Default Engine numbers

Well it has happened, my block cracked over wi ter in Gerorgia. That was a big lesson that i just learned. I have a 7.4L 454 in the boat now, but i need to replace it. The numbers do not match on my boat. Can anyone point me in the right direction? The mechanic cannot find anything either.