Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
So I snapped a crank in my 311 memorial day weekend ! >

So I snapped a crank in my 311 memorial day weekend !

Notices
Formula

So I snapped a crank in my 311 memorial day weekend !

Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Did this boat come from Gibbs? If so, when he had it he had one of the motors out sitting on the shop floor. That would expain a lot...
Old 08-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I went through two motors on the starboard side the first season I had the boat, same side with snapped crank this season. Jeff didn't build that motor. He did warranty it though and let me use their 31 imp for the season while mine was down. This boat has had numerous new cams replaced throughout it's life. The trail of receipts that came with the boat tell the story, it's quite something.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Looking good now.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered

Port starter went out so I took a little video clip last night after I got the new permanent mag hi-torque version installed.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
VID_20120815_193016.avi (5.30 MB, 78 views)
Old 08-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 454captiva
The crank snapped across the counterweight ... Clean break and no pieces in the pan. My machinist said it was due to the previous engine builder taking all the radius out of the crank when they turned it down. It was a 4340 eagle crank.

On another note ... Does anybody have any input on the stage 1 teague cams ?
Let Bob Madara do the cam and top end .....
Old 08-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered

I did talk with Bob about the cam kits but timing was going to be an issue. I went with the teagues because he had everything I needed in stock. I was really impressed with the quality of the cams from teague, they were the copper coated cores custom ground by andrews. Hindsight being 20/20 looking back on the project, it was really nice when working on the boat at 7 or 8 pm CST and being able to call the guys at Teague for technical questions. You just never know what you are going to encounter on a project like this.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome Job..I recently purchased a 311 with the same power package 420 with TRS..she is a work in progress as well but seeing what you have done and dealt with has motivated me to keep plugging away and with some time money and sweat Ill be where you are in a few years! Ill be using some of your suggestions in here since I just want to squeeze a little more out of my engines when I pull them not punch them out..you mentioned putting in a flush kit because you have TRS drives..Im curious as to why when you run in freshwater..Im going to lose the silent thunder platform this winter as well and put on the tube aluminum like you have and go to true thru hull exhaust..great thread..I love to see engines in pieces and then come back to life..excellent work
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered

You will love the sound after ditching the silent thunder platform! The only reason for the flush kit was so I can run the boat on the hose in the driveway. I can now just simply hook my garden hose adapter onto the transom and fire away, before I had to unhook the hose from the strainers and shove a garden hose down it ... what a pain in the A$$.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

Any ideas on what color I should do the intakes in? I am going with the brass lined Merlin III's. I was thinking the reflective chrome powder.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't think your going to gain a thing with the Merlin intakes. I have almost carbon copy engines to yours except my cam is 231/237 with 1.8's on the exhaust. I'm running a Performer RPM and thats all you will need. The Merlin intake has big ports and will be a dog due to poor port velocity. If your dead set on a single plane you could run a Vic Jr but you're not turning the RPMs to need a single plane. This is just my opinion but I talked to a lot of people when I build my engines. Honestly the intakes you have are really good if you engines have the dual plane intake, I don't think your going to gain much no matter what intake your put on. With a big single plane you will most likely lose power except for the last few hundred RPMs. I had a pair of darts that I was going to use but decided against them. I think you'll get more bang for your buck by adding a 1" open spacer. Save your money for the gas tank.

Last edited by endeavour32; 11-06-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.