Notices
Formula

What is Silent Thunder?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Enticer Rick
Yes there are plugs under the swim platform. I removed mine and it did seem a little louder (2000 312)
Yep, on either side near te edge. I left mine out as well..... and then took a 2" holesaw and made the holes bigger. Just to make it a little bit louder.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Think of farting in a bathtub.....just that your engines are now doing it.

Interesting........but I've never farted before.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So on plane, there wouldn't be any water in the box?

This is really going to sound stupid, but its got wet exhaust, right? So the box is filled with the water thats coming out of the exhaust, not from just being in the water and filling up.. So opening the plugs wouldn't completely drain it, it would just keep the water from getting too "deep" inside the box and less sound absorption..
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222

This is really going to sound stupid, but its got wet exhaust, right? So the box is filled with the water thats coming out of the exhaust, not from just being in the water and filling up.. So opening the plugs wouldn't completely drain it, it would just keep the water from getting too "deep" inside the box and less sound absorption..
Correct. Instead of drilling larger holes in the bottom of the platform, I cut out the baffles which are about 4"-5" inside the exhaust tips. I used a sawzall with a long blade and it took all of about 5 minutes. A little louder, but nowhere near thru-hull.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
When you're on plane, the faster you run the higher the exhaust pressure. This effectively "blows" the accumulated water out of the platform. The exhaust still has to force itself under the baffles but since the baffles are no longer submerged, you get less back pressure and louder exhaust. It really is an ingenious design that quiets the engines around the docks but results in no appreciable loss of exhaust flow at speed. It was (is) a patented Formula design. Very cool!

The later models, Fastechs, initially used a somewhat modified Silent Thunder design. Essentially the same except that the "box" was really just a panel under the platform that rattled and cracked. It was just too wimpy. The earlier models with the full ST platform were much better but still susceptible to exhaust leakage and rot of the embedded wood in the platform.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this what you're talking about? It looks like the plugs have already been pulled out of mine.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Yep. A regular transom type rubber plug (for a smaller boat) can be inserted in there if you want to try it.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silent thunder

is when you eat a pot of fresh baked beans then you go to bed and you pass gas vary quietly and pull the covers over the old ladys head...
Old 06-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just run the Silent Thunder as is. Leave it alone.
The design works great with no real issues.
Opening up the baffles makes it a little louder, but you get ZERO prrformance gains. Unless you are running BIG power through it, the ST can handle everything you can dish out.
The ST is cooled by wet exhaust and does not have much water in it once on plane. If you listen real close you can hear the difference when the water that filled the ST at idle, drains and starts blowing out the back unrestricted.
I cut holes in an older ST on a 272 and it made the rubber flappers vibrate and sound like crap at idle around the docks. The extra exhaust flow really screwed it up.

Last edited by OPIE272; 06-30-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Add comments
Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Think of farting in a bathtub.....just that your engines are now doing it.

I loved ours when we had it!!
LMFAO! Thats one way of putting it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.