Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Thru-Transom Water Pickup - 242LS (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/282709-thru-transom-water-pickup-242ls.html)

TomZ 08-13-2012 01:07 PM

Thru-Transom Water Pickup - 242LS

My 242 overheats. Finally got into everything (pump, hoses, etc) and found that the transom inlet is the issue. So I need to install a thru-transom pickup plus flush inlet. Fun.

I ordered a cut-to-fit pickup from Eddie Marine (should be here tomorrow or Wednesday). My question... where to put it exactly? I'm thinking inboard of the engine stringer on the starboard half, aiming for halfway point between centerline and strake. Good?

Any thoughts?

On another note... Found some rot in the boat. Looks like a winter overhaul is in order.

Tom

Made It Rain 08-13-2012 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by TomZ (Post 3752664)
My 242 overheats. Finally got into everything (pump, hoses, etc) and found that the transom inlet is the issue. So I need to install a thru-transom pickup plus flush inlet. Fun.

I ordered a cut-to-fit pickup from Eddie Marine (should be here tomorrow or Wednesday). My question... where to put it exactly? I'm thinking inboard of the engine stringer on the starboard half, aiming for halfway point between centerline and strake. Good?

Any thoughts?

On another note... Found some rot in the boat. Looks like a winter overhaul is in order.

Tom

I can send you pictures of my Teague transom pick ups if you would like.

PM me if you want them.

Thanks.

88242LS 08-14-2012 07:07 AM

whats wrong? collapsing hose? replace it no need for another hole in the boat

TomZ 08-14-2012 07:23 AM

Corrosion in the transom assembly.

masi242 08-14-2012 06:09 PM

I had been fighting a overheating problem problem also, the plastic hard plastic hose that comes thru the transom was cracked and had debris caught up in it. It sure is nice not to see that temp gauge go up. My 242ls has the 454/alpha.

aquaforce 08-14-2012 09:02 PM

I wish I didn't know anything about that over heating cause but I do. Once that corrosion gets between the tube fitting and the transom housing it just corrodes until it collapses and restricts the feed hose. That happened on my 89 242LS. Problem was that the corrosion ate through the transom housing and wicked into the transom. I have to replace both now.

Good luck with your project.

TomZ 08-16-2012 12:32 PM

That sucks!!

I'm not quite in that situation, but just as bad. I'm going to be fighting stringers, bulkhead, and possibly the transom over the off-season. Call me crazy but I'm actually looking forward to the project. For now, I'll be fixing the overheat issue, and using her gently for the remainder of the season.

Good luck with yours!

Tom