aftermarket exhst on 97 271 Fastech

Notices
Formula

aftermarket exhst on 97 271 Fastech

Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket exhst on 97 271 Fastech

Anyone ever done an exhaust system on 271 fastech? I may be looking to replace my stock manifolds and risers and im looking for some suggestions. Thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered

I did it to mine. I put emi on I also have silent choice.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Registered

You need to be careful when ordering headers. The exhaust holes on the Fastech are cut very high for the silent thunder exhaust. If you order standard Bravo headers the holes do not line up correctly. I originally had EMI thunder manifolds with long S/S riser and the exhaust hose had to be severely bent to get them to hook up to the exhaust tips. I later switched to Keith Eickert headers and the hoses did not line up at all. I made the hoses work and eventually burnt through the hose within an hour because it had a bend in it and could not get proper water cooling. In the end I filled and recut my transom holes in the proper standard Bravo location. If you are thinking of CMI headers, you can get them made with a custom tailpipe to fit your holes. Any of the aftermarket manifolds will work fine with short risers. Jeff Wurl
Old 09-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jwurl
You need to be careful when ordering headers. The exhaust holes on the Fastech are cut very high for the silent thunder exhaust. If you order standard Bravo headers the holes do not line up correctly. I originally had EMI thunder manifolds with long S/S riser and the exhaust hose had to be severely bent to get them to hook up to the exhaust tips. I later switched to Keith Eickert headers and the hoses did not line up at all. I made the hoses work and eventually burnt through the hose within an hour because it had a bend in it and could not get proper water cooling. In the end I filled and recut my transom holes in the proper standard Bravo location. If you are thinking of CMI headers, you can get them made with a custom tailpipe to fit your holes. Any of the aftermarket manifolds will work fine with short risers. Jeff Wurl
Thank you this is the reason i asked this question. I know there was going difficulty with this. Did you ever get any water back into the engine through the flapps? I just had my motor rebulit and the builder said the left and right bank exhaust ports showed signs of water. This is also the reason i am looking into another exhaust. thanks for the info
Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered

I have never had a problem with water going up the exhaust tips. I have Dana marine flappers in six inch long stainless tips on mine . Jeff Wurl