Any 270 SS experiences or owners here? >

Any 270 SS experiences or owners here?

Notices
Formula

Any 270 SS experiences or owners here?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 270 SS experiences or owners here?

My buddy and I are both looking at Formula 270 SS as our next boats. (edit: or 260 SS) I had a Donzi 22 classic and he's selling his 19' sea ray. I have a 2 year old boy and another one due next month. He has three small kids. We boat mostly on the Potomac river and need something that will handle the chop and white caps when the wind picks up.

I like the layout, the cabin, and of course still having a big block is a nice plus.

Any owners with input on this model of boat? Or someone who's ridden on one?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '05 260 SS with 496 mag/Bravo 3. Really nice boat for inland boating. I have had as many as 13 onboard for a bachellorette party on Lake Mead. Great layout and amenities for this size of boat. Handles chop and moderate water without any problem. Docking/manuverability in close areas is easy with the counter-rotating props. Speed @ WOT is 53-54 mph.
Attached Thumbnails Any 270 SS experiences or owners here?-260-ss-08.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered

How do you like the side facing passenger seat on the 260?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Registered

The 260 SS is a great boat with lots of cockpit space and still quick. The front seating allows for 2 at the helm and 2 on the side lounge which works nice for our family of 3. I would be more worried baout sharing a boat with someone. That kind of thing tends to end friendships. Just my $.02
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zimm17
How do you like the side facing passenger seat on the 260?
Really like it! Passenger can lean back against the well-padded dash and put their feet up, almost like a couch. Probably great for an observer to face rearward if skiing/wakeboarding/tubing too.

Absolutely nothing I don't like about this boat!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Registered

I believe that if you compare the Formula 260SS and 270SS side by side that the 260 will easily come out the winner no matter how you use the boat. The 260 cockpit configuration is easily the best ever both for storage and usability. Everyone on the 260 marvels at the incredible amount of storage space and the super nice C lounge. The double helm and side lounge all work very well with passengers.

As to handling chop and weather, our first trip out this year turned brutal. The Formula 260 sliced through everything thrown at her with ease. Actually, I call her the Wave Crusher after that experience. I have a video of the event but I can't load it here. Suffice it to say, the video was scary but the 260 didn't seem to care one bit. What a boat!

Took a couple of friends out and did some turn carving at speed. My one friend has a 2004 Mustang Cobra, so he knows handling, he was astounded at the handling of the 260SS. Still talks about it to this day.

I'm with Red Dog, absolutely nothing that I don't like about this boat!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just buy one now. At least by next summer.. need to hang out soon.

Brent
Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered

Sorry for the confusion- we're not sharing the boat, we both are in the market to buy.

I didn't realize the 260 had a dual helm- that's cool. 2 year old can sit with me, and room for momma and baby in the side facing one.

Working on it brent... one of these days she'll let me buy something.