Formula

structural repairs

Old 07-16-2002, 03:21 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default structural repairs

I need to have some structural repairs made on a 357. I've already been to the "best" local place and was not too happy. Will Formula do any work on their boats? Can anyone reccomend a place in NY,Pa,or Oh? I will go further if I have to. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:40 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a guy in MA that is UNREAL!!! What do you need fixed? What is your time frame? Let me know and I can give him a call for you or give you his number. I know now he is booked through the summer so keep that in mind.

Jon
Old 07-16-2002, 02:04 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have any time frame to work with. The boat has already been written off as a long term project. I need to have the stringers replaced from the gas tank bulkhead forward to at least the end of the cockpit, possibly all the way forward. As I understand it, the correct way to do this is to lift the deck off the boat. Not a small project. What experience have you had with the guy you are thinking of. Anybody else have any reccomendations?

Last edited by bck; 07-16-2002 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to call Formula, and see if they can suggest anyone in that area.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact Clint Samson at Watercraft Clinic, Wolcott, NY. They are located mid-way between Rochester and Syracuse off RT 104. I had them change graphics and blueprint bottom of my Hustler this spring. They have quite a bit of experience tackling large projects and structural work. They do warranty work for Baja thru-out the Northeast.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:50 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My buddy has done from small to large. All the work I have seen him do has been nothing short of amazing. He just made two Porche race cars out of basically Nothing!!! Just so that you know I am in the same predicament you are and your guess is correct. You have to take out the gas tank, pull the floor out and remove the foam, and cut out the stringers and then put it all back together again. I am going to do it myself. It is not super hard work but it is messy itchy work.

Jon
Old 07-26-2002, 02:22 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Fast-Forward in Brewerton, NY ( near Syracuse). I've seen their work and it is outstanding!! They just came to our Marina and fixed a 41' SeaRay ON SITE! They reparied the enginie mount and moved another mount back in place. They also repaired the textured swim platform by making a mold and copying the exact pattern! I was impressed.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Audiofn Rick g here, How did you determine that your stringers needed replacement. What did you look for or what happened while you were driving to bring the problem to light. thanks Rick G.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:12 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

RickG I am not sure 100% just guessing from all the other work that I have done so far. What I do know is that when the guy put in the new bulkhead that is just in front of your motors, he was not able to reconnect the stringers to the bulkhead, so I have to either next spring or the fallowing year take out the gas tank and look that over and check the stringers. It is actually NOT a bad job if you do not mind getting a little fiber glass on ya I have noticed no ill effects or performace in the boat as it is now, so they may be ok. However what I have learned from my painting and other projects "expect the worse and hope for the best How is your boat coming along? I will be pumped if I can get my boat into prime this week and paint in about two weeks. That will put me on a easy target for the water by Labor day weekend when I plan on christening the boat

Jon
Old 07-29-2002, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Jon got the boat in the water for the July long weekend. My shifter pod is ausome complete with gaffrig shifters. My computer guy is going show me how to email pictures this week. i think you will like the idea and may be tempted to use it your self. The oil leaks are repaired but as big blocks go there is still a few minor drips, drives me crazy but not serious just annoying. Put on new EMI thunder exhaust sounds great. My mechanic thought that with the engine mods the carbs may have been running a bit lean so I had them rebuilt and fattened up . Now i can't get the sucker to do more than 60 @ 4250 RPM. Will start leaning them out this week. I'm running 25 pitch mirage props and going to try a set of 21's cupped to about 23 to see if that helps. I do have a question thought when I'm running the boat seems to perform best with the drives at neutral trim ( level with the hull ) How does your react with positve trim, it seems all I get with more trim is more porposing. and although adding tabs helps it does nothing for top end. I am I doing something wrong. Any info would be helpful. By the way I am going to paint this winter found a great painter up here that will paint the boat if I strip the hardware and windsheild for $5,000 Cdn . But thats another story. Look forward to hearing from you Regards Rick G.

Quick Reply: structural repairs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.