Formula 272 closest competition? >

Formula 272 closest competition?

Notices
Formula

Formula 272 closest competition?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Formula 272 closest competition?

Since there has been quite a bit of talk about these (and since it is basically the boat I want and am saving for) I was wondering what this models closest competion was for similar years, say '84-'92.

Boats like Donzi, Cigarette, Baja, Checkmate, Apache, Wellcraft etc. plus other quality boats

I know the 272 isn't the fastest hull, but its also a conventional hull that is 30+ years old. Did the other brands really have an edge or were they "equally slow"?

I'm looking at twin small blocks, twin big blocks or single big blocks (black motors though) and not talking about the guy that put 1000 horse bbc in one, only stock configuration for comparison purposes.

I probably wouldn't leave Formula but just wondering what you guys have seen, experienced.

Could be a fun discussion.....
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Wellcraft had the nova. Nice boat. I've seen em called 26s 27s 28s depending on year. The newer nova hulls were pretty fast. Don't think apache ever made anything this small. Donzi and baja both had 25-28 ft boats. Checkmate had a 265 I believe. Think cig used make a 28ss or something like that.

When I bought mine I wanted a upper 20s twin engine. It was between a nova and a formula. I almost landed a nova first but it was sold too quick. Think I jumped my formula because I was tired of looking but do love the boat. Might have found a slightly nicer one for same money had I looked hard enough.

As far as ride goes formula or wellcraft. Both share a heavy hull with a 24deg deadrise and ride very nice. My experience with Novas is mid 80s style. Guy on here Diego had a newer one so he can chime in on the ride of it. Last I knew it was for sale without power.

All in all glad I ended up with the formula, love the boat and the ride.

My humble opinion.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Donzi had some comparable stuff, problem is most in that late 80's early 90's era had OMC drives, not end of world but hard on resale, checkmate had the 281, but its no formula, there was the Nova also as mentioned, but not many around and definitely not many around as nice as you see that era Formula still running around that are super nice, we always joke about the gen Formula as being timeless, but Really look around what is there????? and while the values have finally fallen, there are still very desirable so they are a easy sell as many still want them, because now there the best boat you can buy for 20k out there, AND if you have that GEM of a old school Formula someone will still pay the money for it
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the 86 272 was a great boat, small blocks was plenty for me, I baught it in 98 and sold it in 08 Was extreamly dependible did nothing to it but normal maintance. Put about 100hours each summer on it. It was even bigger then my current 292.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good information.

Here is my justifications from what i've seen

1. Formula hull is timeless and will always look in style and have that "mean" look where most of the other boats of that era look much more dated.

2. Although not the fastest hull, most hulls of that era aren't really much faster especially when you consider the extra weight of frigde, sink, etc. etc. vs. a bare v berth some hulls had.

3. Most other boats of that era are harder to come by because they didn't last.

I guess one other boat I would consider would be the 29 scarab.

The thing I get hung up on is when I see a 27 checkmate (or baja etc.) with a 415 horse 502 that will run 70+(claimed). Then you look at twin 454's and you get 65. I know these boats aren't a formula, they are still really nice. The problem with them is you can't go back to one from the 80's because they just didn't have "the look"(my opinion)

Another boat I like is sunsation. Its not just the cost of a newer boat, I just like the older ones (kind of like cars).

With regard to power, my 206 reacted really good to more power. I picked up a solid 8mph with an extra 100 horse.