Running around in Diego's 272 SR-1

Notices
Formula

Running around in Diego's 272 SR-1

Old 03-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Running around in Diego's 272 SR-1

Diego and I met up today and took his '89 272 SR-1 out to stretch it's legs. Cruising around Miami Beach in a Classic Formula on a beautiful Spring afternoon is hard to beat.

Formulas always impress and the '89 272 SR-1 with Twin Big Blocks/Bravo I's is no exception. This boat also has K-Plane 280's and 25" Mirage Props. Twin BBC's in boats of this size tend to be pigs out of the hole but that's not the case here. We timed this today and we can put this boat on plane in 6 seconds or less!! Of course that's with full tabs and drives all in. We aren't certain of the power on his 454's but I can testify that these are a pair of torque monsters. Throttle response is very crisp throughout the RPM range. I ran out Haulover Inlet moving up and down the face of 8 footers stacking up against a 15 MPH SE wind with a strong out going tide. Trust me when I say I took FULL advantage of that throttle response negotiating that inlet!!

This boat performs a feat that I have never seen..which is especially remarkable considering the weight in the a$$ end of this boat. Consider this: the 272 SR-1 will plane at 2200 RPM and maintain 27 MPH. From a dead stop with full tab and the drives all in...2: aboard (we both weigh about 250 each) and half a tank of gasoline...this boat will plane with a snap of the throttle and virtually no bow rise!! Mister...that's some torque!!

When Diego showed this to me today I remarked that no one will believe this when we tell them about it...until they see it...we are going to try to make a video of this and share it.

Another amazing part of this ability involves the fact that with the Holley Double Pumper Carburetors...these engines are barely using any fuel to run on a plane at 27 MPH/2200 RPM and are certainly running on the primaries!! I remarked to Diego that we need to set up some Flowscans to accurately measure the fuel consumption.

With understanding of all of the above Diego's boat as propped tops out at around 65 MPH at 4300 RPM. We think the props are perfect for his set up but agree that lab/Tuning will probably push this boat to 70 and beyond.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds sweeeeeet! Long term, i'd like 454's or 502's in my 242.

Low RPM's and Torque Monsters are hard to beat. Plus, the sound of a BB is unmatched.... Definitely jealous that you guys were out today, it was nice in Ohio, but not THAT nice!

Cheers

Billy
Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by billyt0020
Sounds sweeeeeet! Long term, i'd like 454's or 502's in my 242.

Low RPM's and Torque Monsters are hard to beat. Plus, the sound of a BB is unmatched.... Definitely jealous that you guys were out today, it was nice in Ohio, but not THAT nice!

Cheers

Billy
It was seriously nice out today...tomorrow will be a repeat. Lots of boats out...probably 200+ at the Sand Bar just inside Haulover Inlet in North Miami Beach. We talked about how clear the water is...in 30' of water if there was a beer can on the bottom you could tell what brand it was!!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I wam jealous!!! Can't wait for a video
Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not just jealous, but WAM JEALOUS!!!!

Seriously, glad you guys were able to get out and enjoy the water. Warm weather. In a boat that runs. Runs great. Bought for a great price......

I hate you......

Try to get some video, would love to see how you negotiate waves like that. My boat is apart and thinking about lake Michigan when it is rough already makes me nervous!

Brian
Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered

Hi everyone,

this is a video when we went out back in february out on the ocean running from South Beach where the cruises come out to the ocean (Government's Cut) to Haulover Inlet . We had fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZBUuhrT3KM

Keith from OSO bought my Nova and we will take him out on the ocean when he gets here in about 2 weeks to pick it up.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered

That was another great day. When we get mine together we can video each other and one of us needs to learn how to edit video!! LOL
Old 03-31-2013, 03:57 PM
Registered

IS THAT THE ONE LIL'RED SOLD - I JUST MISSED OUT ON THAT DEAL
LOOKED(S) LIKE A GREAT BOAT
Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

That's the one. Diego I may have to send you a bill to up that buying price a bit. You're having way too much fun with it! But seriously guys Diego had an amazing detailing job done on this boat, and had stainless marine exhaust installed. I just sold him a good base to get to where it is for what I feel was the right price.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
That's the one. Diego I may have to send you a bill to up that buying price a bit. You're having way too much fun with it! But seriously guys Diego had an amazing detailing job done on this boat, and had stainless marine exhaust installed. I just sold him a good base to get to where it is for what I feel was the right price.
When you coming down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.