Notices
Formula

502 EFI - strange oil leak

Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 AM
hq_
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 EFI - strange oil leak

A few days ago I noticed the engine is losing oil. Lots of oil, the bilge was soaked and topping up the oil level after an hour's drive took a full gallon.

I checked everything. Oil cooler hoses are fine, oil cooler itself is almost new, all fittings are tight, oil pressure sensor is a bit hard to reach but it seems ok. So, I cleaned up the mess, started the engine and took a close look at engine while it was running. There was a stream of oil shooting out the back of the engine, about 3-4" portside of the distributor. I couldn't locate the source, even with a mirror. I wiped everything clean with solvent and started the engine again. The leak is gone. I can't duplicate the problem anymore, not even after the engine has warmed up and run at 3500rpm+, oil pressure being well over 60psi.

The leak is gone so I should be happy, but I'm definitely not. There's a good chance it'll return when I'm nowhere near the dock.

Before pulling the manifold and replacing the gasket, I'd like to know if there are any other likely sources for the leak. It seems to be somewhere between the distributor and oil pressure sensor, without being either. Thanks.