242 with Bolsters

Notices
Formula

242 with Bolsters

Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 242 with Bolsters

Hey guys I`m trying to buy some bolsters for my 242LS , I have a couple of questions how do they wire them for power power, these are coming out of a Formula. Also do I need to add any support the underneath the floor were they would bolt in. Last question anyone with pics would be great drivers side and passenger would be great. The wife feels we will lose to much space over our regular seats.

Thanks for any help

mark
Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark,

I have a pair of McLeods that came out of a Formula 292 SR-1 going in my 255.As you know they mount single side to the floor and the sides to the gunwale of the boat. They are solid and need no other reinforcement. Mine are spring/hydraulic manual so I can't speak to your power question.

I will say they do take up a lot of space and for anything other that offshore running in heavy seas are not practical for daily use as seats. I have swivel buckets (Original for my boat) now and plan to keep them as spares. They are great though for what they are designed for...Heavy Water and Seas. They support you in the rough stuff like nothing else. My 255 doesn't have any more room in the cockpit than your 242 does and the rear couch will be a bit cramped with the bolsters. I have so much free board that i am considering leveling the floor over my engines and moving the couch to the transom and have engine hatches in the floor to improve the room in the cockpit...I have enough depth to do that..

Before you make a final decision on the change over think about how you use your boat. If you run a lot in snotty offshore water you will benefit greatly from the drop out bolsters. If most of your use is on a relatively smooth lake you might not realize the full benefit that bolsters provide. I live on the shores of and boat in the Atlantic Ocean. The ocean can be relatively calm with 2-3 foot seas most days but can also kick up 3-5 feet and beyond very quickly. Those of us that run our deep vee offshore boats in this environment accept that and equip our boats to deal with it. If I wasn't boating primarily in the ocean I would not go to the trouble and expense of installing these that I have but since I do I will prepare myself for that. My wife will not go with me offshore in anything beyond 3' seas..she can't stand the pounding...,even with the bolsters. If she is with me I have to stay inside in the Intracoastal and put around unless seas are less than 3 feet.

I hope this helps your thinking and answers part of your questions.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Registered

Thanks Sprink these bolsters are out of a late 80`s Formula, they are not power , they sound just like yours. Well our 242 spends most of the time on our river going to beaches and hanging out in some of the shallow areas. We never see any real rough water, unless we head to the shore or one of the larger lakes. I will ask a stupid question the the spring/ hydraulic does not need any power hence spring loaded to adjust the seat were you want it. My big problem is I want something to lean against and I thought this would be a great option,even with the bucket seats I can put a large cooler behind it. I hated reading your post you sound like the voice of reason just like my wife maybe I should listen.

I thought this would be good little project, nothing like you or befu I don`t think my pea brain could handle that

thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by masi242
Thanks Sprink these bolsters are out of a late 80`s Formula, they are not power , they sound just like yours. Well our 242 spends most of the time on our river going to beaches and hanging out in some of the shallow areas. We never see any real rough water, unless we head to the shore or one of the larger lakes. I will ask a stupid question the the spring/ hydraulic does not need any power hence spring loaded to adjust the seat were you want it. My big problem is I want something to lean against and I thought this would be a great option,even with the bucket seats I can put a large cooler behind it. I hated reading your post you sound like the voice of reason just like my wife maybe I should listen.

I thought this would be good little project, nothing like you or befu I don`t think my pea brain could handle that

thanks

do it and you will never go w/o again, its just plain more comfy for every day running, and since they are era correct they will look like the belong, and yes i hide a cooler there all the time
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a boat (non Formula) that had a swivel captain seat and hated it. I like to stand while i drive unless im in no wake zones. The captain would not slide back far enough to let me stand comfortably. Our 242 had bolsters from the factory and I couldn't imagine it any other way. You will love the extra support they provide you crossing the wakes of other boats in the river.

Last edited by Fischan; 07-23-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Registered

Thanks guys I am hoping to here from the board member on weather we have a deal or not it`s killing me. Fischan great looking ride.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fischan
I had a boat (non Formula) that had a swivel captain seat and hated it. I like to stand while i drive unless im in no wake zones. The captain would not slide back far enough to let me stand comfortably. Our 242 had bolsters from the factory and I couldn't imagine it any other way. You will love the extra support they provide you crossing the wakes of other boats in the river.
Hey...don't get me wrong...I love the things for my use. I didn't put mine together for sitting around drinking beer and listening to the sound system!! With out the Bolsters in our environment here I would end up with serious spinal and hip injuries.

I have been out in 3-5 ft snot with Diego in his 272 SR-1 with bolsters running hard. Without them you wouldn't be able to stay in the boat!!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be awesome to run in the ocean! Our bay is shallow and gets snotty real quick with small amounts of wind. 3-5 footers here make it tough to for our little boat to even be on plane.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 AM
Registered

Sprink I have seen that video looks like you guys had a great afternoon, wish we had a little rough water here. My parents live in southern Maine, there boat is in the water so it`s nice to get in some big water I love the smell of salt water.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Masi-
Make sure you get the brackets that mount the seat to the side of the boat. You will need to drill three new holes for a 242, lower in the bracket to make it work but that's easy. I also agree with almost everyone else. Buckets suck and bolsters are WAY better in almost every area. Yes you cannot pivot the seat around but I just sit on the dash and put my feet on the bolster. To be honest its the most comfortable place in the boat when chilling out other than the sun pad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.