Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
312 Fastech >

312 Fastech

Notices

312 Fastech

Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the issues is if its worth adding the hydro steering and k planes. Not sure how long I will keep it, I would really like a 37SS.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28 View Post
I had my 353 out on lake MI this weekend for the air water show... lots of big boats out near navy pier and such, left my drives down and k planes all the way down and road outstanding. My girlfriend freaks out at anything above idle on boats and i couldnt even get her to come off the boat she liked it so much.

FYI i do have full hydro steering as well
LOL If you really drove your 353 with the drives and tabs "All the way down" I can't imagine how much water you must have been plowing!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Lets add we are talking Lake Erie west basin slop....

Matt, put K planes on it and hydraulic steering, both used for around 3-4000.00...I know many of us know how to put it all on with ya....

if the drives are spinning in it will be looser, see what the are doing now, or send me a pic of the back of the boat....

I think the 312 is a tad small for Lake Erie, but also it should do better then you are describing also...
Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Ok, looked at a FB pic, your spinning out so that's not the issue....
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
LOL If you really drove your 353 with the drives and tabs "All the way down" I can't imagine how much water you must have been plowing!

lol... a lot!! But I gotta do what keeps the lil lady happy
Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 AM
Registered

My 97 312 is smooth as glass with twin 454mag mpi's running labbed bravo-1 30p 72 mph about 3-4 on the trim an running 1 on tabs. It actually likes some chop. But I do have full hyd. Steering. My labbed 28 p's top out at 70 but throttle response is much quicker in the mid range.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Registered

Thank all for your help! All great advice!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Registered

I have no experience behind the wheel of a 312, so I can't tell you if there is a big difference between a single step vs a double stepped hull. However, my 292 loves 2-3 chop. Now 3+ I can get bounced around with the best of them just because of the size of the boat. My motors and drives are stock, no hyrdo steering and 12x12 bennetts.

Two things I've found that works for me in those types of seas is to bury the tabs. You'll be able feel them working. Your nose may walk a bit, that is what a deep V does, but the tabs will bring you back keep you from wondering like you mentioned. Plus, with the tabs down you'll keep the drives in the water and will prevent you from launching the boat. You'll still have to drive the boat, it's not going to drive for you but it may help.

This one might sound stupid, but "GO FASTER". I'm not talking hammer down, but if your getting bounced around, try clicking up a notch or two. Your probably not on top of the waves like you should be. So by going faster and riding wave top to wave top, the ride will actually get calmer. Your first instinct is to go slower cause the seas are rough and if your not comfortable at the speed your at why would you want to go faster but it works.

Also, don't think I need to mention it, but angles. In rough seas its all about angles. You want the wind at your front or back, not your sides. Although the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, sometimes in rough seas if you just venture off course to get the best angle, you'll get there quicker and safer.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advise bye Split also, Ive found from my 242 to the 271 and now the 303 adding a touch of speed flattens it out
Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silent lucidity View Post
My 97 312 is smooth as glass with twin 454mag mpi's running labbed bravo-1 30p 72 mph about 3-4 on the trim an running 1 on tabs. It actually likes some chop. But I do have full hyd. Steering. My labbed 28 p's top out at 70 but throttle response is much quicker in the mid range.
That is one of the best looking 312's I've seen! That paint job is awesome !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.