Help!!  Formula 255 liberator or 1979 Formula Interceptor >

Help!! Formula 255 liberator or 1979 Formula Interceptor

Notices
Formula

Help!! Formula 255 liberator or 1979 Formula Interceptor

Old 02-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Also remember that 454 red has with a few modifications and the right exhaust can pump out reliable ponies.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much. You all have been so informative. I will get pictures for you as soon as the 3 feet of snow goes away...lol.

I do have 4 thru the hull pipes. the outer 2 have covers on them and the 2 that are closer together. Would these be thru hull exhaust ports. would the wider ones be for a BB. want would I need to make the 454 red has hook up as thru hull.

Thank you Again.
rick
Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered

pictures here

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/rick...43e6d.jpg.html
Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rickz1304
For some reason I saw no pics. If you have four exhaust ports you had twins at some point. Try linking the the pics again.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Registered

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/rick...43e6d.jpg.html

I dont know, but it worked for me.

I am going to try and get some pictures tonight or tomorrow night.

Rick

Last edited by rickz1304; 02-04-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Registered

Ok, after doing some check. this boat originally had a 351 in it. what kind of nightmares am I getting myself into if I go with the 454 package from red?

I talk to the mechanic that work on this boat for the first 30 years of its life. He is telling me the exhaust wont hook up and the motor mounts are different. He wants to sell me a rebuilt 351 turbo charge installed with 1 year warranty for $4000.

Rick
Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Registered

You need a new trailer ASAP. That boat is way too far off the back. Reds package will work just fine. Motor mounts are cheap and easy. There is no way he is building a Marinized turbo charged engine for 4000. The exhaust alone would cost more than that. Be very weary if who "builds" you an engine. There are many horror stories on this on the board. The 454/bravo will be the best upgrade for this boat at the moment. If you want more power after a season you can pull the engine and build it or build it while still using the stock 454
Old 02-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
You need a new trailer ASAP.

HAHA yes I know I do. I am not going to trailer it but once to the lake and then drive to the marina by water. Once the motor is installed I will need to chain the tongue to the ground just to hook it to the truck, going to be a lot of "fun" towing it.

Thats what I was thinking. you said motor mounts are cheap and easy. How do I install new ones?

I talked to a marina service shop today and they said this is going to be too much work for them...WTF.... really. I can't believe this is going to be that hard. I will probably just do it myself.

Do I need to relocate the motor mounts? if so how do I do that?
How do I align the motor with the outdrive?

you would not believe the people I have talked to. The guy that said this will be "too much work" told me to just buy a newer boat with a better hull design and run a v6 like his 19ft wellcraft....haha.. nope. how does a 19ft boat even compare to a 25ft. Not even in the same league. Some peoples kids. I want a boat that can handle waves and get me offshore if need be. I want to go from the main land to some islands in northern michigan and not worry about my boat being able to handle the waves that may pop up out of nowhere.

Thank You
Rick

I know I can does this project with help of awesome guys like you!!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be realistic with yourself as far as what you are capable of doing and paying..
Restoring any boat takes a lot of time,knowledge and money.. Lots of money..
Old 02-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rickz1304
HAHA yes I know I do. I am not going to trailer it but once to the lake and then drive to the marina by water. Once the motor is installed I will need to chain the tongue to the ground just to hook it to the truck, going to be a lot of "fun" towing it.

Thats what I was thinking. you said motor mounts are cheap and easy. How do I install new ones?

I talked to a marina service shop today and they said this is going to be too much work for them...WTF.... really. I can't believe this is going to be that hard. I will probably just do it myself.

Do I need to relocate the motor mounts? if so how do I do that?
How do I align the motor with the outdrive?

you would not believe the people I have talked to. The guy that said this will be "too much work" told me to just buy a newer boat with a better hull design and run a v6 like his 19ft wellcraft....haha.. nope. how does a 19ft boat even compare to a 25ft. Not even in the same league. Some peoples kids. I want a boat that can handle waves and get me offshore if need be. I want to go from the main land to some islands in northern michigan and not worry about my boat being able to handle the waves that may pop up out of nowhere.

Thank You
Rick

I know I can does this project with help of awesome guys like you!!
First thing you'll need to do is mount the transom assembly. The back of the motor will bolt to the transom assembly and then you know where front motor mounts need to be bolted. There is an alignment tool that is used to perfect alignment for outdrive. I would recommend getting the parts and where your at there many qualified guys who can get motor bolted in place right. Won't cost a fortune. Once they have it bolted in you can take it Home and wire and rig it.

That's what is look at doing in your situation. We can help more with more pics. Like I said first this Iis to know what drive is currently on the boat. If its a alpha or pre the bravo swap isn't all that bad as the cutout is the same you just have to drill 2 extra holes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.