Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Does anyone else have older CMI headers that have NOT leaked? >

Does anyone else have older CMI headers that have NOT leaked?

Notices
Formula

Does anyone else have older CMI headers that have NOT leaked?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
I have had and still have several sets with zero problems. All are fresh water boats that we rigged with proper fitting tail pipes with no stress added to header because of misalignment that we see all the time even on factory rigged boats.
Brian, you are my boat mechanic. Do you think it is necessary to drain the headers? If so, just at the end of the day? Talking fresh water use only.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Just had my headers checked at CMI this week, 280 hours. 05 Vintage boat, so headers are 04 from what CMI Dave told me. No issues, everything checked good. I too will be doing the bypass update. Seems when they start to run just a little hot, combined with fatigue from tailpipe alignment/weight this equals failure. Also 10 years of running they have served their purpose. Next season going to install Gen X replacements and not worry about headers for awhile. I make sure to install new impeller and housing every season and clean out exchanger. My next upgrade are some strainers.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

2006 Fountain with 525's and not a hint of a problem here. Side by side engine set up, cool collar style pipes and no issues so far at 300 hrs.

100 % fresh water use here, FYI my take here over the years has been staggered set up with very long and heavy pipes without the extra support and salt use. Salt in my book is the kiss of death for most parts boat, period!!!

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 02-07-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 42 with a full stagger. Original headers tested fine this fall. Luck of draw I guess
Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
2006 Fountain with 525's and not a hint of a problem here. Side by side engine set up, cool collar style pipes and no issues so far at 300 hrs.

100 % fresh water use here, FYI my take here over the years has been staggered set up with very long and heavy pipes without the extra support and salt use. Salt in my book is the kiss of death for most parts boat, period!!!
Salt a contributor. I had a staggered setup too but in my case, it was the rear engine that got taken out by the leaky headers not the forward one.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Brian, you are my boat mechanic. Do you think it is necessary to drain the headers? If so, just at the end of the day? Talking fresh water use only.

Carl, Like I posted the only problems I have seen from fresh water CMI's are cracks from stress from poor installation, tail pipe to tip alignment or unsupported stagger set up. I have yet to see a good set come from salt water. Every salt water boat I work on with SS headers weather it be CMI or Stellings have weld repairs or are leaking. I do not know the history of your CMI's before you bought them but I know your alignment is good now. As far as draining them all I can say is it wont hurt no matter what system you run. Stock cast iron Merc exhaust has caused more engine failures than any brand of headers ever will.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had leaks for HP500's but when rebuilding engines @ 10 years......I replaced them anyway.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll bet I've got the oldest on the site for what it's worth. I'm using 2 pair from 1992. Developed one very fine pinhole leak in a collector which was successfully welded.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to jinx myself, but 2005 with 300 hrs and original with no issues.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a chance to look at the Hardin Hurricane 525 headers up close at the Miami show this week.. They look very well constructed. The outer tubes are bigger than the CMI's and the collector area is now coated with an anti-corrosion coating. Have no idea of they hold up better than the CMI's, but they looked pretty beefy.. Hopefully, it will be a long time before I need to think about this, but these are worth consideration.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518927[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone else have older CMI headers that have NOT leaked?-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.