New headliner install

Notices
Formula

New headliner install

Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New headliner install

I'm in the process of overhauling my cabin. When I bought the boat it never had headliner as the last person took it down and never replaced it. It looks like the old stuff was just foam backed material and it was glued to the ceiling.

I'm wondering how most Formulas glue the material straight to the ceiling? I have also seen some people talk about having panels that remove, but I'm not sure how many boats are done this way? Is one way better or easier? Sounds like a lot of people who's are glued fall again after some time....

I don't have a pattern to go from so I'm starting from scratch and want to do it the best way. Any suggestions?

Dean
Old 03-17-2014, 04:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The older boats (1980's - early 1990's had the material glued to the ceiling (deck's underside). With the newer boats and particularly the bigger boats, the headliner material has a thinner foam backing and is glued to panels that are fastened to the ceiling, instead of gluing the material directly to the ceiling.

Here are a couple of pictures from an anchor locker fabrication that I did on my 1991 F-242SS. It shows the headliner that I peeled back during the project.

I used a good quality spray adhesive to re-glue the material back in place. IIRC, it was 3M brand.

Most issues that you hear about with the headliner material bonding is where the cloth fabric separates from the foam backing.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I think I will go that route and just glue it back to the ceiling like it was. Just need to do some prep sanding.

One other question, how do they usually hide the seams of the material? I assume there will be a seam down the middle depending on how you run the material. Is there a trim piece?

Dean
Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I vacuumed, seemed like 10 lbs, of deteriorated foam off my ceiling . Just put the material back on the ceiling without gluing. On the sides I removed the foam and replaced with a new type of batting. I just glued the new material to matting, then glued batting to hull. Also on the sides I got rid of the fabric material and went with the new slick vinyl / leather material C-Spray was selling. Eventually will replace headliner same way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520528[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520529[/ATTACH]
Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Registered

If you use luan panels, the vinyl is wrapped around the edges and glued or stapled on the back side so the seams are not an issue. The joints between panels don't show any unfinished edges. It's a huge job if the panels aren't already made and you're just recovering them. On boats I've seen, the luan panels are held to the deck with dual-lock.

To glue, make sure you use a hi-temp glue like DAP Landau Top and Trip Adhesive (not available in California so it MUST be good, right?). 3M makes great spray glues as well. Spray a fine web on both surfaces, let it tack for 30 to 45 seconds, then place in position. You'll have to get inventive to cover the seams. Maybe cover 1/4" PVC board strips, say an inch or two wide, with the same fabric and place over the seams? They could be held up with 3M dual-lock (velcro on steroids).

Larger Formulas use Whisper Walls track system. It's a flexible plastic track with a narrow channel that pinches the edge of the fabric and functions as a stretcher while also hiding the seams. Kool stuff. Or you could epoxy strips of PVC board to the deck, staple velcro to that, and use a foam-backed headliner that functions as the fuzzy part of velcro and grabs the hook attached to the deck. Test your headliner backing with velcro before going that route since many thing that look like they'll stick just won't.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Registered

Great info guys! I'm going to just glue the new material up as suggested. That seems like the best route for me. I need to wait for it to warm a little more for the glue, but hopefully a couple weeks I'll have it re finished. I'll get some before and after pics. I'm going to start snooping for the glue and making my pattern..

Thanks,
Dean
Old 03-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I still have some leftover pieces of the genuine (new spec) Formula headliner material. If you're interested, let me know what size(s) you need...

97FASTech - Install looks good!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
97FASTech - Install looks good!
Still have to pull wrinkles out when it gets nice and hot. My California installer bailed on me!!!

Trying to make it a bit fancier for the TX Outlaw Challenge in June. Thanks "C"
Old 04-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Registered

I just finished mine, a Fastech 312. I pulled the whole thing out, made patterns with masking paper. Then transferred the patterns to 1/2" fabric backed scrim foam. Then I checked the foam for fit, glued the headliner to the scrim on the bench and glued the assy to the hull using 3M spray glue. (about 14 cans) Flip the patterns over to do the other side. I would send pic's but I can't figure out how quickly. Fun project, the biggest pain was scraping the bit's of foam off of the hull. (a gasket scraper worked the best)
Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Registered

Nice work. How do you hold the headliner in place while the glue sets? Or does it just stick enough once you push it on the ceiling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.