353 Formula guys - need info

Notices
Formula

353 Formula guys - need info

Old 08-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just didn't want to get the RPMs up to high, maybe I'll see if BBlades has a pair of 26s to see what happens.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thats what your rev limiter is for. If an engine will turn up to its rated RPM at full load it is working less than when barely making minimum recommend rpm range of mfg. Loading the engine more results in less rpms and the engine is under more load, being able to turn right at max rpm will ensure longer life when using the engine in the recommended cruising range.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
I just didn't want to get the RPMs up to high, maybe I'll see if BBlades has a pair of 26s to see what happens.
I have a friend that had a 2001 353 at LOTO with 496HO's that ran around 72 new. He had 30P on his, which we always meant to swap my 28Ps on just to see if it was slightly over propped. But we never got around to it. Your speed is about right for that HP, age on hull and engines, etc. I bet BBlades could tell you exactly what trying the 26s will do before even testing.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by looseconnection
Thats what your rev limiter is for. If an engine will turn up to its rated RPM at full load it is working less than when barely making minimum recommend rpm range of mfg. Loading the engine more results in less rpms and the engine is under more load, being able to turn right at max rpm will ensure longer life when using the engine in the recommended cruising range.
I know and understand about the RL, but didn't know what they were set at on my 502s, I guess I need to try some diff props and see when they hit it.

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
I have a friend that had a 2001 353 at LOTO with 496HO's that ran around 72 new. He had 30P on his, which we always meant to swap my 28Ps on just to see if it was slightly over propped. But we never got around to it. Your speed is about right for that HP, age on hull and engines, etc. I bet BBlades could tell you exactly what trying the 26s will do before even testing.
I'll give Brett a call and talk to him about what he thinks will happen when I go one size smaller, he should have good idea what's up.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I'd wait to prop test at LOTO vs Cape Coral if the boat is heading back to MO. You'll want to prop it to where you can turn 5K RPM at WOT on a typical boating day for you in terms of weather, fuel load, passenger load, gear, etc. That way you aren't dropping too many RPM on the worst possible days and not gaining too many RPM on perfect days. Rev limiter should be 5150 RPM on your motors and you don't want to be banging it hard optimum days. If top end is not that important to you I'd stick with standard (non-lab) finished props.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
you could probably outrun that thing on foot in acceleration, and had to have taken f o r e v e r to reach that 72.
what RPM?

They are slightly overpropped with the 28's Formula specs with and tested on the 353/425 HP combo
I have the Formula test reports here from 2001, have lived with one, and stand by my experience 100%

Funny thing is my boat runs the same top speed on out of the box 26" Bravos
On my tachs 5000~5050 with typical boating weight.
but will leave that boat you speak of absolutely behind in a roll-on.

test report to my recollection was empty gear, empty water, two guys 3/8 fuel I believe two-way ave 72 at ~4800 with 28's.
OVERPROPPED for the real world, real weight boater with those engines...
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
you could probably outrun that thing on foot in acceleration, and had to have taken f o r e v e r to reach that 72.
what RPM?

They are slightly overpropped with the 28's Formula specs with and tested on the 353/425 HP combo
I have the Formula test reports here from 2001, have lived with one, and stand by my experience 100%

Funny thing is my boat runs the same top speed on out of the box 26" Bravos
On my tachs 5000~5050 with typical boating weight.
but will leave that boat you speak of absolutely behind in a roll-on.

test report to my recollection was empty gear, empty water, two guys 3/8 fuel I believe two-way ave 72 at ~4800 with 28's.
OVERPROPPED for the real world, real weight boater with those engines...
LOL. You are spot on. It was horrible out of the hole. Can't remember what total RPM he ran at WOT. At the time I had labbed 28s I was running on a 454EFI 32 Sunsation. He so wanted to try those props since getting on plane sucked. Problem was neither of us had trailers, both boats were on lifts at LOTO. And every time we discussed a swap we had been floating in the water drinking beer. Bad idea!. When we ran together I would be a half mile ahead of him within about 30-40 seconds just do to hole shot. He originally ordered the boat with 502s but that was when they changed over. He got the first 353 with HOs in it, for the same price as the 502s. So he was happy. Not sure how long Formula kept shipping them with 30P props.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I am happy with the boat with the way it runs now, I was just wondering if I was leaving a few MPHs in the engines, but I don't want it to take a mile to get on plane and up to speed with any weight in her, I guess trying the 26s will tell me pretty quickly if I should just leave the boat alone or not, should be interesting.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Good luck Jim. When's the boat going back to loto? Still gonna sell it or keeping it at a place up there?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Good luck Jim. When's the boat going back to loto? Still gonna sell it or keeping it at a place up there?
We took it off the market months ago, the boat is perfect and I couldn't let it go just because we wanted a CC for down here, we were thinking about just hauling a CC back and forth but decided to keep the Formula, probably do the two boat thing instead, we should have a place back there before the end of the year, then we'll have it hauled back after we get the new LOTO place squared away.
We'll start snowbirding next Summer, as much as we love it down here, we miss LOTO in the Summer, 6 months here, 6 months LOTO.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.