Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
06 292 FastechStrange Electrical Gremlins, any Ideas?? >

06 292 FastechStrange Electrical Gremlins, any Ideas??

Notices
Formula

06 292 FastechStrange Electrical Gremlins, any Ideas??

Old 09-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 292 FastechStrange Electrical Gremlins, any Ideas??

Just got back from Lake Powell with the repropped 06 292 Fastech, Ran awesome 1st Day, after 4 hours running on 2nd Day we stopped at Rainbow Bridge National Monument which is about 50 miles out of Wahweap Marina. After a 1 hour hike to the Bridge and back, we decided to head back to the Marina. Low and Behold the Port Engine would crank but wouldn't start. It would run for like 1/2 second and just Die! We decided we had about 4 hours until dark so we better try to make on 1 engine with only an 7.7 knot top speed with 6 people on board and dragging 1 drive felt like an anchor.

There was a fueling only Marina 7 miles away with a General Store, so we fueled up @$5.50 per gallon and purchased a $25 spot light for $75. The Park Ranger said to find a beach and Anchor down for the night as it is way to dangerous to navigate back to Wahweap with all the hazards. Depths can change from 420' to 3' in a hurry. In Daylight you can see the water color changes from when the towers and spires poke out or near the surface. Luckily, our GPS had marked the trail back for us and we stayed on the route back for 3 hours with a crescent moon and a spotlight. Put the 292 in a slip and back to the Lodge for a goodnights sleep. Definitely an Adventure to Remember!

This morning we decided we would check the Port Engines Fuel Relays as my Brother who was with us (Professional Motorcycle Technician) said he has seen similar problems with no starts on fuel injected motorcycles, specifically Harleys, where relays get wet, lose contact, etc. The Mercruiser manual showed us where they were located and with his pocket screwdriver he removed the 2 from the Port Engine, Inspected them (same part#), Blew them off, and reinstalled them vice-versa, and said to start it up. The Port Engine fired right up and purred like a Bengal Tiger. He said to light up the Starboard Engine so we can take her out for a morning dash. The Starboard Engine would crank, but would not even attempt to fire at all. We both shook our heads with disbelief of what just happened. I said I'll remove the Starboard Engine Relays and inspect them and reinstall them and see what happens.

Cranked the Port Engine, she fires right up, crossing my fingers and saying a few private words I cranked the Starboard Engine and she fired right up! Halla-Flipping -Lu-Ya!! He looked at me and smiled and said, "Bro, You got some Electrical Gemlins in there and like finding a needle in a Corn Field." We took her out for a short spin and she performed like new. And then I noticed the Starboard temp gauge was dead, all the way to the left. I had monitored this all the way back at night just to make sure it wasn't getting hot for our journey back on the Starboard Engine alone.

My Brother said to me, "Jackpot", "you have got a bad ground somewhere". He said poor grounds will act like that and explained to me his theory. He said the Port engine Relays took the ground from the Starboard Engine Relays as we started this one 1st. He then said by removing and reinstalling the Port Engine Relays reset the ground and took it from Starboard temp gauge ground he suspects. He then said to get an Electrical Diagram and clean and secure all grounds and your problems will be solved.

Does this sound right? Does this make any sense? Anybody experience anything like this before?

Thanks for any Advice or Input! My learning curve is very steep!

Last edited by Tedorama; 09-01-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tedorama
Just got back from Lake Powell with the repropped 06 292 Fastech
Did they eat you as you where typing?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Registered

No I pushed the reply button too soon, LOL.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be in the harness, I had to change one on my old 292. Make a jump wire to go from the fuel pump right to battery for a temporary repair on the water but keep the RPMS down as the high pressure pump draws a lot, you can see what pin is red or black were the wires come in. Also check the relays again, I had the connections lose there tension and do the exact same thing. Just curious, were did you buy your 292? Does it have IMCO steering and exhaust?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Registered

Good Plan.
I bought from a guy in Seattle who used on freshwater Lake Washington 95% of the time and stored indoors. Standard steering and Corsa Captains Call Exhaust. I repropped to 24P from 28P as we boat mainly at 5000 to 6000 feet in elevation.
I am going to clean all ground contacts as this appears to be the main problem I am led to believe.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Registered

HI,
These symptoms happened to my 02 292.It turned out to be the ignition module in the distributor.easy fix.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

The distributor pickup in the distributor will act like this when it gets hot, ask how I know......three two ins!!

Also, cleaning all your grounds will make a difference too. I did this to a buddie's 5.0 Volvo GL. It actually made the engine easier to start and it picked up 250 RPM at WOT.