Notices
Formula

Cabin headroom height for 419 ????

Old 12-20-2014, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
419 definitly taller cabin than 382

That is great. As long as I know the 419 is equal or greater than the 382 cabin height then I won't get too picky about 419 model year.
I wouldn't mind a 419 stepped but money limits everything.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 97 fastec 419 and loved the boat. I would really try and go for the stepped version. You do get extra mph and cruise with the stepped hull and that hull never got loose or never "surprised" me like a lot of stepped bottom boats out there can do. The boat was an absolute waive crusher. Had it down in Key West from time and time and no seas were ever too much for the 419. It also gets on plane flatter than the 357 (I had one of those too), which with the three engines you wouldn't think is the case. Also, there was pleanty of room to work on the engines. I had 525 super charged with CMI headers. I had issues with corrosion of the intake manifolds as there were no brass inserts for the blower intake and I had early CMI's that cracked at the mounting flange. Had to have them welded twice. My boat ran 83 mph under ideal conditions and 80 all day, every day, Florida heat, fueled full, etc. I think you will find it as an upgrade to the 357, even though that is a great boat. Also, look to State Farm for insurance. You just need a letter from Formula indicating the boat was manufactured with three engines for State Farm's underwriters. When I first approached them, they wouldn't insure because their form only had singles and twins. Good luck with the search. You will find that most interiors have drooping ceilings and side panels as the foam behind the ultra suede rotted. I replaced mine before I sold it, not too difficult of a job.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:50 AM
Registered

That is good info and thanks for the post.
I like easier planing and that is a nice upgrade too but that didn't lure me toward the 419. Either we add a Gen to the 357 or go 419 and all the factors of the 419 seem to interest me in that direction. More bilge room and larger hatch pad are very cool too. The smoother the ride the more my wife will like it too.

Does the nose ride lower on plane with the 419 compared to the 357?
Old 12-29-2014, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boats ride generally the same once on plane. I just recall (both me and a guy that owned a 357 and looked at mine when it was for sale) the bow does not raise up when coming on plan as it does with the 357. Also, when you compare cruising speed and fuel consumption on a 357 vs. 419 (with the efi motors), you will probably find it does not burn that much more per hour. Wide open, the 419 will obviously burn quite a bit more. While I didn't track my fuel millage, I don't recall spending more money on gas in the 419 vs my 357. I always say that if you are looking for fuel millage, you shouldn't be buying an offshore performance boat. I would also suggest holding out for the Fastec model. Faster, more efficient, latest technology, better resale.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 38fountainecman
Boats ride generally the same once on plane. I just recall (both me and a guy that owned a 357 and looked at mine when it was for sale) the bow does not raise up when coming on plan as it does with the 357. Also, when you compare cruising speed and fuel consumption on a 357 vs. 419 (with the efi motors), you will probably find it does not burn that much more per hour. Wide open, the 419 will obviously burn quite a bit more. While I didn't track my fuel millage, I don't recall spending more money on gas in the 419 vs my 357. I always say that if you are looking for fuel millage, you shouldn't be buying an offshore performance boat. I would also suggest holding out for the Fastec model. Faster, more efficient, latest technology, better resale.
It is amazing to me how I was so dead set on a 382 for years and now I am becoming more convinced that the 419 is really more of what best suits us.
I think the same on fuel for the most part. Also if the triple burned too much more then the tank should be more than a measly 30 gal larger.
The level planing or lack of bow rise I think would be cool too.
I value the Fastech as you say and agree it would be the best option for all the reasons you gave. What I have to figure is how far I can get with my bank roll. I may have to ride the 357 till a good deal works out but I also must have the generator. It kind of surprises me to see a 419 built without a Gen.
I will be looking for the best deal I can find on a Fastech 419. I appreciate all the details and input from everyone here.