Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Does Formula build boats on speculation? >

Does Formula build boats on speculation?

Notices
Formula

Does Formula build boats on speculation?

Old 01-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does Formula build boats on speculation?

I have been looking for quite a while, and cannot seem to find any new Fastechs at dealers. I am thinking that with the economy that they only build for orders, and not for dealer floor plans. Not sure if anyone has insight into this, but I am interested in hearing thoughts from those who may be better informed. I have been searching, but have had little luck in finding anything.

Heck....when you are even looking for a good used boat, it is almost impossible to find a boat for sale...292s specifically....that are less than 6 years old. Is it the case that people just hold onto them?.....not many built?....something else?

Any thoughts would be nice to hear. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't comment on Formula's inventory but I can say that I have a client close to Decatur, IN where Formula is located. Over the years while visiting the client I would drive by and see a number of larger/performance boats shrink-wrapped - I assume awaiting shipment to dealers. However, in the last couple of years when I drive by there is nothing in the parking lots. Maybe they just build to order?

3pointstar
Old 01-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Revspan
I have been looking for quite a while, and cannot seem to find any new Fastechs at dealers. I am thinking that with the economy that they only build for orders, and not for dealer floor plans. Not sure if anyone has insight into this, but I am interested in hearing thoughts from those who may be better informed. I have been searching, but have had little luck in finding anything.

Heck....when you are even looking for a good used boat, it is almost impossible to find a boat for sale...292s specifically....that are less than 6 years old. Is it the case that people just hold onto them?.....not many built?....something else?

Any thoughts would be nice to hear. Thanks!
They do not mass produce as the used to, and especially the 292, after about 07 they have very limited build numbers, One thing that Formula may have screwed up, yes I am actually saying this and I bleed Formula, the cost of the 292 became so close to the 353 that it was a no brainer for people to step up the extra coin for the 353. this is a product of the economy and where the hobby has gone, there really is no entry level go fast anymore, 25/32ft, with that said it has been very good to rehab the used boat market in that area, I overpaid for my 303 3.5 years ago for a few reasons, clean, 1 of graphics, and power, it was the nicest boat I could buy on my budget, I feel as if i decided to sell today I would not take much of a hit.... again this is just my opinion which to be honest is probably worthless LOL
Old 01-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
They do not mass produce as the used to, and especially the 292, after about 07 they have very limited build numbers, One thing that Formula may have screwed up, yes I am actually saying this and I bleed Formula, the cost of the 292 became so close to the 353 that it was a no brainer for people to step up the extra coin for the 353. this is a product of the economy and where the hobby has gone, there really is no entry level go fast anymore, 25/32ft, with that said it has been very good to rehab the used boat market in that area, I overpaid for my 303 3.5 years ago for a few reasons, clean, 1 of graphics, and power, it was the nicest boat I could buy on my budget, I feel as if i decided to sell today I would not take much of a hit.... again this is just my opinion which to be honest is probably worthless LOL

I would agree. The entry-level new boat market is pretty much gone. Checkmate gave it a good try with the 260 though. I go to dealers all the time, I just enjoy seeing new boats and the only new boats on the floors seem to be bowriders/small cruisers.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:01 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I too LOVE the formula brand but understand the economics as well. I remember around 2008 thinking used formulas 5 years from now will be worth a fortune.....cause they aren't making very many of them right now!

Formula builds boats that dealers are willing to floor plan. However, if they don't sell quickly, the dealer has to start paying for the boat (but hard to sell when you have an empty lot). Dealers got stuck paying for boats they couldn't sell so they stopped ordering......and formula stopped building them.

I still say this shortage of new boats is going increase the used boat market prices in the future.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

look at the overall market for the llast several years...... flooded with used boats that the previous owners couldnt give away.... new boat sales seriously in the tank to the point a lot of new boats took a couple years to sell. its going to take a few years for the pendulum to swing the other way... at least it look like it has at lleast started in that direction finally.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Went to a formula dealer in Conroe texas, asked where the fastech was, they said they didn't display them, that they were order only. This was a 2 years ago.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:27 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Went to a formula dealer in Conroe texas, asked where the fastech was, they said they didn't display them, that they were order only. This was a 2 years ago.
Dealer decision.....not corporate "formula" decision. Dealer pays for a boat they put on the lot whether it sells or not.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
Dealer decision.....not corporate "formula" decision. Dealer pays for a boat they put on the lot whether it sells or not.
That makes sense. The had 2 ss or fx(?) models there I think. Also I ate at Popeyes just down the road haha
Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Dealers stock what sells, and the glory days of performance boats are long gone. I suspect the hyped sales from 2000 to 2007 was more of an aberration than anything else, and will never return. The Formula dealer at LOTO sells a ton of new boats each year again, but they are mostly SS, and a few PCs. Last year they sold 350SS bow riders like crazy. They start carrying a large inventory now, with the boat shows coming up. Check out their new boat inventory page, http://www.formulaboatsmo.com/boats_all.asp here. You can see what sold recently during the fall. And scroll down to the bottom where they still have a new untitled 2007 382 Fastek for $225. That pretty much says it all about where the new performance boat market is at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.