specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform

Notices
Formula

specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform

Old 09-03-2002, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform

So. after 2 years of discussion, contemplation, analysis, and planning, i bought this specialized tool to remove the baffles in my 272 swim platform silent thunder.

11 minutes and it is over, donewith, gone!!! sounds great and i didn't have to remove the platform to perform the work

Attached Thumbnails specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform-saw.jpg  
Old 09-03-2002, 09:19 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

WERE is the DUCT TAPE!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2002, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... and the drywall screws
Old 09-03-2002, 09:43 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Tell us more Did you go through the exhaust outlets or what Inquiring mind want to know No really, you use a looooooong blade or what. Just nice to know for future reference
Old 09-03-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

it was so stupid easy.

I first tried a 2.5" hole saw. it wouldn't fit through the rectangle openings without slipping in sideways. so i did that, then attached the extension bar, and then my drill.

so i drilled and drilled and pushed and grunted. barely cut the baffle. touched the saw and screamed!!!!. dang it was hot

this isn't working...... so I get this brain fart. get the sawzall!!!!!.
( I AM a self proclaimed Sophistikated Rednek)

I had a long blade. I poke the saw blade and the small guide plate into the opening. the guide plate now is on the inside. and I start at the bottom of the baffle, (1" gap at bottom for water/exhaust to escape). I start sawing and in 5 seconds I'm at the top of the baffle. I swing a large arc and end at the bottom again. a big doghouse opening. Done!!!! I can see the thru hull plain as day. move on to the others. 11 minutes and I am done.

Heard it the first time at the Grand Haven races this weekend. sounds kind of (flowmaster-y) if you know what I mean. nice idle sound. wife didn't even notice, but my friends did (PERFECT) louder on plane too but still sophisticated formula sound!!!!

I like it...

next..........
Old 09-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Thanks, I gotta take a look at mine. My port one is noticably louder than the starboard. Because I have to start my starboard first or I have a hard time it over the port if it already running. Perhaps I'm missing my port baffle or baffles, I hope . My port one sounds like what you described. Maybe I'll have to "fix" my right side next
Old 09-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not that I'm doubting you or anything, but you couldn't get through that baffle with a hole saw? When I was in technical assistance, that's what I always told people to do and never got a call back...But I can see how a sawz-all would definitely have some attitude for that job! How much flex did you get with that extension blade?

And you want to be thanking God that you didn't have to pull that platform off the back of the boat to do the job.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:12 AM
Registered

based on the temperature of the whole saw, and my singed fingers, I'd say I had a pretty dull one

also, the first baffle i "worked on" had already released on the sides and was flexing in like a doggie door as I tried to push and drill. so I got a little mad, chucked the drill, and Got the manly tool

shoulda saw (no pun intended) the smile on my face when it cut it like butter.

Well, more detail (sorry I'm an engineer ) the piece I cut was too large to slip out the opening, so I grabbed it with a vicegrip and then cut IT down the middle with the sawzall into to pieces, then removed them.

UPDATE. I just got back from a family vacation in Northern Michigan ( Torch lake, rated the third most beautiful lake in the world by National geographic, blue as the carribean and NO salt water!!)

anyway, the boat sounds awesome, especially through the river tunnel under the road leading to the lake

I'm happy.

I did talk to a guy up there with a 357 and Kaama's, my next boat!!!!???????
Old 09-10-2002, 09:17 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, but my single engine Baja is STILL louder than your TWIN engine Formula Rambunctious!!! LOL!!!!
Old 09-11-2002, 06:49 AM
Registered

wouldn't know mike, can't hear your boat when I am in front of you. ( like... all the time.....)

boilermaker. I am planning to pull the platform this winter.
The previous owner had it off once to fix the cracking in the platform at the upper attachement plates/bolts. didn't do the best gelcoat job. I plan to remove and repair the areas and then make larger stainless plates to spread the load some more as you can see some warping of the platform around those existing plates.

He told me it was heavy. but I have a 2 ton cherry picker and think that will do the trick, jsut gotta get my 4 year old down in the bilge to loosen those hard to reach bolts. also need to replace the rubber seals while i'm at it. are they available still?

any suggestions/trick to put it back together right?

Quick Reply: specialized tool fro removing baffles in silent thunder swim platform

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.