Help - Fastech stereo removal

Notices
Formula

Help - Fastech stereo removal

Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Help - Fastech stereo removal

Okay... Upgrading my receiver to a Kenwood KMR-D562BT and amp to a Alpine PDX-F6. I'm not new to mobil audio and have removed plenty of receivers from the mounting sleeve using the extraction keys. I've worked on this one for over an hour and nothing! It doesn't budge, like it may be secured using screws or something. Even tried a long butter knife. Doesn't move. I am calling Formula tomorrow but thought maybe someone out there has run into the same problem.

I removed the side upholstered trim piece and the side panel (second pic) is screwed, stapled and probably glued to the cabinet. Looking for some ideas which hopefully don't involve a sawzall or sledge hammer!

At least I got something accomplished and removed the amp from under the sink.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537468[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537467[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537466[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537465[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537464[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537463[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Help - Fastech stereo removal-pic6.jpg   Help - Fastech stereo removal-pic5.jpg   Help - Fastech stereo removal-pic4.jpg  

Help - Fastech stereo removal-pic3.jpg   Help - Fastech stereo removal-pic2.jpg   Help - Fastech stereo removal-photo.jpg  

Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I remember correctly, the keys won't get it out as you have discovered. Since the cage (sleeve as you call it) is mounted in a very flimsy hole Formula used a couple different ways to reenforce the radio. If you can get behind it you may find a strap holding the back of the radio held on with a stud on the back of the head unit or perhaps a couple of screws on the side of the radio.

Report back after you check it out. Once removed, the keys will release it from the cage.

Dave
Old 02-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Registered

Thanks Dave. I think you're right about a strap or something. Trying to get access has me stumped. It seems the whole base, sink counter and upper cabinet is a one piece assembly and bolted to the floor. I'm wondering if I have to remove the small couch, figure out how to unbolt/unscrew the whole assembly and move it far enough forward for access to the back. I would hope Formula considered easier serviceability to the stereo than this. I'll report back any progress or lack thereof!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What held on the side piece? Choose your head unit wisely or you will have to cut thr front acrylic piece to accomodate.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Registered

Remove the changer and you should be able to access the back of the radio.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by looseconnection
What held on the side piece? Choose your head unit wisely or you will have to cut thr front acrylic piece to accomodate.
The side piece where the three light switches are mounted is secured by 3 wood screws. They are accessed from inside the cabinet.

The new head unit is a single DIN just like the original Kenwood. It will drop right in... That is...once I get the old one out!
Attached Thumbnails Help - Fastech stereo removal-panel1.jpg   Help - Fastech stereo removal-screws.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr
Remove the changer and you should be able to access the back of the radio.
The first pic shows there is a wall between the head unit and changer that goes all the way back. The second pic shows the two front screws to the changer from under the cabinet, but there are also two back screws. I guess these have to be accessed from the back as well. I'm anxious to talk to Formula to hear of a possible solution.
Attached Thumbnails Help - Fastech stereo removal-cd1.jpg   Help - Fastech stereo removal-cd2.jpg   Help - Fastech stereo removal-cd3.jpg  

Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your boat is a couple years newer, but radio looks pretty much the same and I've had my radio out a number of times with no issues, while looking to see if there was an AUX for a iPod connection. Could it be that there isn't enough play in the wiring behind it? I know I can only pull my radio out so far before the wiring stops me.

I wish I could upgrade to a newer double DIN, then your left with what to do with the cabinet door. So the single DIN will remain for the time being. Radio will get replaced when or if I ever decide to add a sub to the cockpit.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Any trophy shop should be able to trim and finish the edge of the acrylic panel. I have been meaning to take mine to have it redone but it is still in my garage 3 years later.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Registered

Update - Finally got back to work on this project. Nick at Formula was very helpful and sent me a picture showing the back of the assembly. It showed that in the 292 with a single DIN style receiver there were no other mounting straps (first pic). Like Splitdecision271 said, it could be the wires hanging it up. I used a long screwdriver in the side hole to pull up the clump of wires to give it some slack and another tool to push on the back of the receiver. FINALLY she popped out a bit and I took it from there.

Upgrading the speakers in the cuddy too. Had to space them out for clearance and made some 3/4" thick MDF speaker rings and covered in the white ultra-leather.
Installed the PDX-F6 and just need to finish up on some wiring and we're good to go.
Attached Thumbnails Help - Fastech stereo removal-dsc05001.jpg   Help - Fastech stereo removal-mdf-rings.jpg   Help - Fastech stereo removal-covered.jpg  

Help - Fastech stereo removal-install-2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.