Newbie Help...

Notices
Formula

Newbie Help...

Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
some jet skis are running in the 70's, so you should look for a boat that will run in the 80's if you really mean that.

There is nothing wrong with the 5.0s other than the fact they have less horsepower. It should still be a low 60s mph boat and looks really clean. If you are okay with a little less power then it looks like a good deal.
Is there anything to "juice" these engines up or would it be a waste of $$?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Technically yes, but realistically no. If you already owned the boat, your best bet would be to take the engines out and sell them and put in some take out 6.2s. At this point just find one with 6.2s and avoid that hassle. Enjoy the shopping, money talks in this market and there are a lot of good deals around.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

For cumberland, which is my home lake, I'd say no bueno. That's a heavy hull for sub 600hp...
Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Sun pad looks roasted.
2. Engines look rusty.
3. ground block on pic 17 lower right is very green. maybe heavy salt use with out proper care and wash down, maybe partial submersion.
4. 5.0's are going to be a dog.

I would pass...

For 45k you can get into a nice 292 with 350's or 6.2's. Dont let the 350's scare you away from the 6.2's. There really isnt that much difference, maybe 2 mph strung out.

you can expect to get 800 to 1200 hrs out of the sbc's with proper maintenance and they run well for what they are.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

A cardboard bustle will have that boat to supercat cove in no time flat.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Registered

I was in your shoes once, as were all of us on here at one point. So I'll give you 2 ways you could look at it and share from my experience what I know and what I went through and how I ended up making my decision.

1st way to look at it would be to take our advice from experience and stay away from it. I have 5.7 350s in my 292, rated at 300hp. She is an upper 67-68 mph boat all day long. Best was 70.8 in absolute perfect conditions. I absolutely love my boat, but I'll honestly say, I think she's a bit underpowered. I wouldn't want anything less motor wise, so the 5.0s I personally would stay away from. The 6.2s at 320hp are the right motors for that boat. Anything larger you don't have any room left in the engine compartment. The Scorpion motors work too, but you got to make sure you have k-planes and hydraulic steering on her as it's almost too much motor for that boat without those features and both were not available options from the factory.

2nd way to look at its similar to what 3point mentioned, it really comes down to what you want and expect out of the boat. I wasn't going to be entering any offshore races with her. I had no plans of tubing or skiing from her. I was simply looking for a clean, solid, reliable, unmolested Formula that could get me from point A to point B safely that I could lounge on all day comfortably. She was the cleanest 292 I had looked at and being she only had 60hrs on the motors its understandably why she was in such good shape. So I was willing to sacrifice the 6.2s for the 5.7s because the hours were so low and the overall condition of the boat was unbelievable. My 292 was my first boat and I was 23 at the time, so finding insurance was difficult enough for me on this one. I couldn't imaging how it would have been had I had any more power in her. Now, I actually used the fact that she had smaller motors as a bargaining tool to bring the price down to what I was willing to pay. So even though we all may be telling you it's underpowered, it still might be worth a visit and sea trial to see for yourself firsthand. Maybe you can work out an even better deal. The bare bones of the boat is still the same as every other 292 out there. You got the same cabin, same sun pad, same cockpit, same everything. You'll still be getting everything all the 292 owners have just with less power, but potentially at a much lower price too.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Registered

Where are you located in PA? I'm in the Harrisburg area.

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
I was in your shoes once, as were all of us on here at one point. So I'll give you 2 ways you could look at it and share from my experience what I know and what I went through and how I ended up making my decision.

1st way to look at it would be to take our advice from experience and stay away from it. I have 5.7 350s in my 292, rated at 300hp. She is an upper 67-68 mph boat all day long. Best was 70.8 in absolute perfect conditions. I absolutely love my boat, but I'll honestly say, I think she's a bit underpowered. I wouldn't want anything less motor wise, so the 5.0s I personally would stay away from. The 6.2s at 320hp are the right motors for that boat. Anything larger you don't have any room left in the engine compartment. The Scorpion motors work too, but you got to make sure you have k-planes and hydraulic steering on her as it's almost too much motor for that boat without those features and both were not available options from the factory.

2nd way to look at its similar to what 3point mentioned, it really comes down to what you want and expect out of the boat. I wasn't going to be entering any offshore races with her. I had no plans of tubing or skiing from her. I was simply looking for a clean, solid, reliable, unmolested Formula that could get me from point A to point B safely that I could lounge on all day comfortably. She was the cleanest 292 I had looked at and being she only had 60hrs on the motors its understandably why she was in such good shape. So I was willing to sacrifice the 6.2s for the 5.7s because the hours were so low and the overall condition of the boat was unbelievable. My 292 was my first boat and I was 23 at the time, so finding insurance was difficult enough for me on this one. I couldn't imaging how it would have been had I had any more power in her. Now, I actually used the fact that she had smaller motors as a bargaining tool to bring the price down to what I was willing to pay. So even though we all may be telling you it's underpowered, it still might be worth a visit and sea trial to see for yourself firsthand. Maybe you can work out an even better deal. The bare bones of the boat is still the same as every other 292 out there. You got the same cabin, same sun pad, same cockpit, same everything. You'll still be getting everything all the 292 owners have just with less power, but potentially at a much lower price too.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Registered

I'm 30min outside Philly.

20 with no traffic
Old 03-20-2015, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 03 292 with the 6.2's I would not consider the 5.0's just my 2 cents
Old 03-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a 272 sr1. Same length hull as that 292. It had smallblocks. 350s at the time were only 260-270. It wasn't a speed demon at 58 most days but I never felt it was underpowered. Boat ran good. This 292 is stepped and therefore should have a few more mph. I loved my formula but if all out mph is what you're after formula is the wrong hull.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.