382 FasTech Hull to Deck Joint Repair - How To Remove Valence In Cabin

Notices
Formula

382 FasTech Hull to Deck Joint Repair - How To Remove Valence In Cabin

Old 05-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 382 FasTech Hull to Deck Joint Repair - How To Remove Valence In Cabin

I am in the middle of the dreaded hull to deck joint repair on my 1997 382 FasTech. This is my third formula but I have to tell you, I am loosing a lot of love for Formula due to this issue (and some other issues I am finding). There are no thru bolts in the joint for 10 feet on either side starting just aft of the windshield and forward to mid bow! Of course my joint has been compromised. I can't believe how many FasTechs have this problem and have been put together this way? Anyway, I want to install the bolts that were supposed to be there as advertised in all of their brochures (thru bolted every 18"??). I need to remove the valence in the cabin and can't find any exposed hardware. I am hoping there is some trick other than tearing off the material covering it. I know others on this site have done this so hoping for some help from one of you on this. Thanks....
Old 05-10-2015, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Im not sure how different the 97 style interior is as far as co struction, but on the later cabin There are screws on either end of the valance panel that houses the lights. Then you can remove the speakers and reach inside to remove the nuts from the side panels if need be. You may be able to do everything by just removing the light / speaker panel. The screws are painted white.

I just did this repair, and I dreaded it. It turned out to be quick and painless, good luck!
Old 05-11-2015, 04:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RT, Thanks. I don't remember seeing the screws that you are talking about but I will look again today. Yesterday I couldn't find any fasteners anywhere?? Looks like yours is a 2002. The '97 valence may be different

Has anyone done this on an older bird?
Old 05-11-2015, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely removed my interior on my 97 419. Remove the lights under the valence. They should be screwed to the fiberglass inner liner that makes up the cabin walls and then turn flat to support the valence. Once you have the lights removed, feel up in there against the valence and you will find 3/8" nylock nuts every 24" or so. use a ratcheting box wrench to remove those nuts and the valence should come right out. The speakers are screwed from the inside of the cabinets on either side. To remove the front valence, first remove the track for the curtain, then carefully feel through the ultraleather and find the screws that hold the front valence. The front valence is back screwed from the v-birth side. Then if you want to remove the deck support across the valence area, look into the fiberglass inner liner and there are two 3/8" nylocks holding each side of the support. My 97 did have all the 1/4" thru bolts with backing plates as advertised and I did not see any signs of hull/deck separation. I think my boat may have been an early 97 and may have been a cover boat, not that being a cover boat should change the way its built. Also, make sure you tighten the hull and deck bolts from the stern to the windshield where Formula used the box frame to tie the hull and deck together!