Finally making progress on the 242!!

Notices
Formula

Finally making progress on the 242!!

Old 05-18-2015, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Finally making progress on the 242!!

Winter really caused some delays with getting my 242LS back together, but I'm really starting to make some good progress at this point!

Here's a recap and where we are:

1. While trying to remedy some issues around Bravo-itis (mainly installing a thru-transom water pickup because the transom inlet was blocked), we found that the transom was rotted. Further examination showed rot damage to the battery/pump/anchor shelves, rear stringers, engine stringers, rear bulkhead. Basically, the entire back-half of the boat was screwed.

2. Interviewed a number of folks for the job. Considered doing it myself, but then decided that it would never get done. A friend ended up doing the work at a third of the cost, but took over a year to get it done (not a problem).

3. Boat back home in the fall of 2014, then sat over the long winter while trying to figure out the engine program. Stock with some upgrades/bling? Or something that would really move? I was thinking that the best way to make power would be to go with a blower. That turned into a blower and a roller cam. That then turned into a blower with a roller cam and some new Dart heads!

4. Bilge painting back in April... I didn't like the gray, and white makes it very easy to spot issues. Also had my friend that did the structural work reinstall the transom assembly.

5. Engine teardown began in December, block and rotating assembly to the machine shop in January. Parts ordering began, and then the winter set in, HARD. The garage was too cold to even think about getting accurate measurements. Ran into a lot of troubles getting the right bearings, etc. Not fun. Finally, after lots of hard work, the engine was finished last week. Just need some AN fittings, and valve covers (ordered from Teague).

6. Major cleanup began this weekend. I need the boat clean in order to re-rig everything. Frankly, it was too depressing to look at. The seats were full of mildew, and there was fiberglass dust EVERYWHERE. Let me tell you, Tilex is my new best friend! After cleaning, I went at reinstalling the battery boxes, trim pump, and wiring. I'm hoping to be done with the bilge this week. Engine goes on the dyno next week. My goal is to be back on the water by my birthday (June 30th).

Engine specs:

454 mag short block, standard bore and stroke. 9.8:1
Dart 360 heads, girdles, Comp stainless rockers, Ferrea Super Alloy valves
Bob Madura 525 EFI cam (Crane 741 but with a 114 LSA)
B&M 250 Powercharger
Dual Nickerson 850s

Should make some really good power!!

Here are some pics in no particular order (excuse the paint chips on the blower; shipping was sloppy at best. I have touch-up):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541215[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541213[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541211[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541210[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541212[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Finally making progress on the 242!!-formula-bilge-1.jpg   Finally making progress on the 242!!-formula-bilge-starboard.jpg   Finally making progress on the 242!!-image.jpg  

Finally making progress on the 242!!-formula-454-daylight-1.jpg   Finally making progress on the 242!!-formula-bilge-stern.jpg   Finally making progress on the 242!!-formula-454-daylight-3.jpg  

Old 05-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Tom that looks great it looks like you pulled the tank also or did you just put new foam in? I can't wait to hear what kind of numbers you pull from that engine.

mark
Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We didn't pull the tank. There wasn't any rot beyond the bulkhead, and the tank showed no signs of leaking. The foam was removed in order to reach the back-side of the bulkhead. Work was done just forward of the bulkhead back. He did some really good work on it.

I'm excited to get the engine on the dyno. It should make at least 600 HP depending on boost. I have a 2.75 pulley on it now, but we'll only use that for bragging rights. It's too much for pump fuel even with the aluminum heads. I'm shooting for 5-7 lbs with a 3.30 pulley.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good! Keep us updated. Nice to see another local formula owner!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks!!

Mounted trim tab pump, reran some wiring and hoses. Removed all the tape marks from the hull. Stared and drooled at/over the engine for a while.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I really want to see this done. I have a 242 with a 454/420hp in it that would love a blower. Are you thinking 75mph? Hydraulic steering?
Old 05-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another OSO'er (Cignificant) had a 242LS with a 250 on a 502 crate motor (no specs on the engine, but as I understand it pretty basic) that went 78 on GPS. I'm down 48 cubic inches, but more than make up for it with heads and cam/valvetrain. The heads are way overkill (got them as a gift from one of my best friends), but we're pretty sure they'll work well in giving the blower all the unrestricted air movement possible. So I'm going to say at the least 75 for sure with 80+ in range. I'm saving hydraulic steering for next season. I know the importance of it so rest assured that I'll take it easy and add it when I can.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really good. It will be worth all the time once you go out and enjoy it. The white looks good too, it really updates the engine compartment.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks. I thought the white really updated it, too. I used a brush-on Rustoleum oil-based gloss paint. Coverage is great, and it cures hard as a rock. Good stuff and much much cheaper (and pretty much the same thing) as Interlux BilgeKote. The gloss and hardness will make it easier to keep clean versus the old way. I'll finish painting the bottom of the bilge as a last step before the bilge hoses and engine go in.

I'm also going to upgrade the lighting in the engine room... LED strips under the gunnels and LED spot lamps in place of the utility lamps on the bench wall. Should make working in the bilge at night a lot easier. I'm think of just plain white, though I may put in multiple strips so that I can have red for night time use while operating. The hardest part is choosing what to use! So much out there..
Old 05-19-2015, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 79formula
I really want to see this done. I have a 242 with a 454/420hp in it that would love a blower. Are you thinking 75mph? Hydraulic steering?
I meant to add last night... the 420 will definitely love a blower! If you're considering it, definitely step up to a 250/256 vs the smaller 174/177 blowers. The 250 will make less heat and give you a little bit of growing room (a 420 Megablower or 6-71 would be even better). Change the head gaskets for good measure, and add Inconel exhaust valves if the engine doesn't already have them (can't recall whether or not the 420 came with them or not).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.