Looking for a KAAMA

Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Registered

Default Kaama 357

Hey guys. So I just drove 2500 miles from Cleveland to Miami and back to look at 357 kaama boat. I knew the boat was in rough shape and the current owner is kinda a pain in the ass but since there aren't many of these boats available I figured I would take a look and see if I could make it work. Long story short the boat was way worse than expected. I sent a deposit and went with cash in hand expecting to tow it back with me but even after the owner came down to 13000 It still wasent worth it to restore this boat. It's just too far gone. Owner listed back on sale today for 17500 stating it's ready to use with new stereo and goes 86 mph. Beware it's ready for scrap not ready to use. I have no problem taking on projects and I expect to do some wood working and stringer repair on any boat this old but this one was toast. That being said I'm gonna put this out there again. I'm looking for a 357, I really want the surface drives, if anyone knows of anything out there please let me know. Thanks
Old 03-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 687 Posts

That boat seems to be making the rounds on FB and has been for a while (under a few sellers).. The one guy seems like a junk peddler. What all was wrong with it? It may be helpful to others on the forum that may have an interest.

That's a tough boat to find.... there are a few 357's for sale, but haven't really seen anything with KAAMA's. Wishing you luck!
Old 03-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Registered

Yeah the boat has been for sale for a couple of years. Owner purchased it in NH, i actually tracked down the guy he bought it from and talked to him for a while, very nice guy. Current owner is very hard to deal with and get info, Really the only thing nice about the boat is the trailer. Fuel tank has been replaced and is not secured in the hull (its loose and crooked), Front and rear bulkhead are rotten, Center stringer is rotten, Rear bulkhead has a shoddy repair and is cracked . Cudy interior is trashed, cushions have large rodent holes and rust stains, headliner is sagging from front to back and all the way to the sides, Cuddy carpet is trashed and table receptical is very rusty like it was under water for a while. 2 foot stress crack in front of windshield, windshield is falling off due to broken screws, Dash gelcoat is chalky and cracked (owner sprays whole boat with WD40 to try to make it shine) Cabin interior is all missing except for newly recover bolsters not installed. Engine hatch is bare fiberglass and cracked. Silent thunder is cracked in two places and falling off. Exterior blue gelcoat is very thin in spots and has white overspray on the whole boat. Both engines run and appear to be original KAAMA 450 hp from Innovation Marine. Boat originally did not have silent thunder and did have Rare KAAMA Silencer exhaust tips. They were all missing and must have been remove when silent thunder was installed. Starboard engine has a rust hole in the oil pan and the oil is pouring out into bilge, Engine was three qts high on clean oil and when i asked him about it he denied ever adding oil or even changing the oil, Port engine was low on oil and it looked black, very loud tick from port engine sounded like lifter was bad or rocker arms were falling off. Port engine had a belt that was so worn it was 2mm thick. ha. I found a large 4inch gouge on the hull that was deep enough to hit the stringer, the wood was soft and had a steady drip of water coming out of it even though the boat hasen't been in the water for 2 years. Boat has been sitting uncovered in miami since he bought it, it was outside during the hurricane and filled up with water. Drives and water intakes are very pitted and have been spray painted, Starboard boot is patched with a tire patch and is very dry rotted, Port boot looks ok. One trim pump is missing, All Formula SR1 dash panels are removed and in a box one has a large hole cut in it, Im sure there is more i forgot about , i was expecting a project and there are so few of these boats that i new if i didn't go see it i would have regreated it. 2500 miles later and 500 deposit lost im glad i went. Boat is just too far gone, I would have towed it away for 5000 no more. I have about 50 pictures of it btw all the pictures on facebook are from before he bought it and when he was towing it home, He ruined the boat and its hard to get him to send current pictures.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 687 Posts

You lost your deposit? If so, that's complete BS! I would have demanded the money back. I've seen the one guy selling absolute sh!tboxes on FB.

In my experience once they start to get messed up like that, it's best to salvage whatever for parts and scrap them. The 357 is heavy, and once the stringers start to go, the hull tends to split right around the area where the windshield ends. Horrible death of a great boat.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:43 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Shubx57
Hey guys. So I just drove 2500 miles from Cleveland to Miami and back to look at 357 kaama boat. I knew the boat was in rough shape and the current owner is kinda a pain in the ass but since there aren't many of these boats available I figured I would take a look and see if I could make it work. Long story short the boat was way worse than expected. I sent a deposit and went with cash in hand expecting to tow it back with me but even after the owner came down to 13000 It still wasent worth it to restore this boat. It's just too far gone. Owner listed back on sale today for 17500 stating it's ready to use with new stereo and goes 86 mph. Beware it's ready for scrap not ready to use. I have no problem taking on projects and I expect to do some wood working and stringer repair on any boat this old but this one was toast. That being said I'm gonna put this out there again. I'm looking for a 357, I really want the surface drives, if anyone knows of anything out there please let me know. Thanks
I have one that I was going to keep as a fun project but if a deal just falls together easily and without much effort I'd likely sell it.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:23 AM
Registered

Bck I tried to PM you buy your box is full. Text me at2165133613 my name is Jeff