Thanks OSO

Notices
Formula

Thanks OSO

Old 05-31-2015, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thanks OSO

Well last year I was using extra oil in my 242, made me very nervous also a intake gasket was leaking a little bit but boat ran fine so by the end of last season i did a compression test numbers were good that made me feel a little better. Well over the winter a few of my friends said pull the heads and get them cleaned up and you should be fine. Now over the winter I get a pm from a member Glenamy about bolsters in his 242ss wants to know how I set mine last year,so we start talking about boats and problems well I would like thank Gary for all his help and good words to get the boat back together.
Well I started early April I had a friend stop by the house and asked were should I start Because I'm not a mechanic. He told me were to start and I want at it, I pulled the risers , valve covers, distributor, intake. What I found was a lifter was broken lifter, so pulled that out put a new one in rocker arm and good to go, now just put it all back together. I ordered new gaskets and little other things, bought a timing lite that was fun. Well long story short in ran great last week end, OSO has a lot of great info and great people. Just wanted to say thanks.

Mark[ATTACH=CONFIG]541645[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541647[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541646[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Thanks OSO-image.jpg   Thanks OSO-image.jpg   Thanks OSO-image.jpg  

Old 05-31-2015, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Mark- if I was any help at all you are welcome. You are absolutely correct there are many folks here on OSO able and willing to help others.
My thanks to all of those that helped me along the way also.
GLAD the boat ran good.
HAPPY SUMMER
Old 05-31-2015, 08:08 AM
Registered

Gary thank you, it is great to read post on how people have fixed there boat, were to look and what to do. I know what I did some people can do in their sleep, but you do learn a lot when your on your doing it your self.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to see the broken lifter. What was wrong with it?
Old 05-31-2015, 01:44 PM
Registered

Tink, maybe saying it was a broken lifter is wrong but the top ring around the lifter was broken I did find most of the metal in this pic you should be able to see it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]541659[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Thanks OSO-image.jpg  
Old 05-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW - I don't have a clue what could have caused that. Must have been a flaw in it.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:27 PM
Registered

Yea I was shocked also.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW that was a great find and fix. If you kept going that would have lead to more involved repairs.
Happy Boating with the bird.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:31 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,132 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Never seen this before but I have seen many do the following, especially with the intake on:

Drop the pushrod down in and not realize it's not in the lifter cup.

That scenario could break it , I would think ??????

Other than schitty parts,

2nd possible scenario:
Lifter pump up so bad, the plunger was hitting it's top retaining ring like a jack hammer and broke the lifter ? Assuming it was the c clip type retainer, not the small wire ring type.