2001 271 Fastech - hull blisters :(

Notices
Formula

2001 271 Fastech - hull blisters :(

Old 10-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by silversupercoupe
Regarding number of blisters, there are literally 1000's of them...each around the size of a pin head. I suppose its hard to assess the depth without stripping first.

My biggest challenge, I think, will be finding someone capable and interested in doing a good job. Again, if anyone has anyone they would recommend in the SE Michigan / NW Ohio area, I'm all ears.
Someone already mentioned Glass Dave in Toledo. Also Cap'n Nabbers in Morris, IL has a great reputation. 815-941-1546 for Nabbers.

Edit. Nabbers may be gone. IDK I called and got a recording. FB page says they may be out of business and I can't find a web site for them. Damn shame if they are gone.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 10-11-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Contact Formula Tag unit (Scott Smith) 260-724-1412 Not that I think they will help you as they were a complete waste of time for us with our 353 Fastech that we purchased last November...Also a "kept in the water" boat...should had known better. Supposedly Formula reviewed our boat when previous owner had it...He has relationship with Formula, and Formula response was that it was a non issue....well now we have structural issues that need to been repaired...Not certain yet, but once Glassdave cuts her open and figures out what exactly has happened, I won't be surprised to hear that it was cause of this boat being kept in the water and issues have finally shown its face...Part that sucks it showed its face on our watch....So I hope you can get some answers...will keep everyone posted on our journey of repairs in the coming months...You will never recognize this boat once we are finished with it...we DON'T want any reminder of what we purchased...changing, paint, interior, rigging, boat name...everything !!!!

Goof luck "silvercoupe"...Hope you are able to get some answers...keep us all posted. Lord knows I would love to get some real answers...time will tell.

Last edited by badmonkey; 10-12-2015 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Additonal writing
Old 10-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Someone already mentioned Glass Dave in Toledo. Also Cap'n Nabbers in Morris, IL has a great reputation. 815-941-1546 for Nabbers.

Edit. Nabbers may be gone. IDK I called and got a recording. FB page says they may be out of business and I can't find a web site for them. Damn shame if they are gone.
Thanks. I didn't realize Glass Dave was in Toledo, OH.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Contact Formula Tag unit (Scott Smith) 260-724-1412 Not that I think they will help you as they were a complete waste of time for us with our 353 Fastech that we purchased last November...Also a "kept in the water" boat...should had known better. Supposedly Formula reviewed our boat when previous owner had it...He has relationship with Formula, and Formula response was that it was a non issue....well now we have structural issues that need to been repaired...Not certain yet, but once Glassdave cuts her open and figures out what exactly has happened, I won't be surprised to hear that it was cause of this boat being kept in the water and issues have finally shown its face...Part that sucks it showed its face on our watch....So I hope you can get some answers...will keep everyone posted on our journey of repairs in the coming months...You will never recognize this boat once we are finished with it...we DON'T want any reminder of what we purchased...changing, paint, interior, rigging, boat name...everything !!!!

Goof luck "silvercoupe"...Hope you are able to get some answers...keep us all posted. Lord knows I would love to get some real answers...time will tell.
Was your initial issue blisters?

I first contacted Formula's TAG....completely no help....not even a recommendation of someone who might be able to help.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by silversupercoupe
Was your initial issue blisters?

I first contacted Formula's TAG....completely no help....not even a recommendation of someone who might be able to help.
No, the blisters were on the hull when we purchased it. The issue we have wasn't noticed till after the 7th time we ran the boat this season, then washed it and notice the cracks inside the bilge and on the far back step of the hull under the bilge. We contacted Formula Tag and of course they were of no help at all.....Sent them tons of photos hoping they would give us answers. All they came up with is, "the boat has some delamination issues... "Oil Canning" they call it.....WTF !!! Basically was told, "bring the boat to us, pay our labor rate and we will see what happened to your boat".....

We will not be able to determine the actual cause till GlassDave does his recon and we get some answers....I am merely assuming the blistering has been a root cause of our issues. Will keep all posted once 'Sherlock GlassDave" gets into it...lol

Last edited by badmonkey; 10-12-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: additions
Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.hartoftmarinesurvey.com/guide.html

read up! this is the best done explanation I've found.

I have some pox myself on the starboard transom and on the face of the notch (drain plugs)
none on the bottom
blistering is far from rare under gel that spends any time in the water

I'm not happy about it but the reality is my boat has been seasonally slipped for 10 of the last 13 years (bought it new)
Just gonna keep an eye on it. It Will have to be repaired, but it may be 1 more season or 3 till it can't be let go any longer

I showed the mrs. and expressed to her the expense, and she was quick to say "get it repaired whenever you feel it needs to be done"
very cool
so will just monitor for the inevitable...
Old 10-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Registered

Thank the EPA and uses of cheaper Gels....alot of Glass Fishing Boats have this issue, and their owners are just as Perfect as OffShore......Their getting them where their bunks sit on the hull, it never drys out so they get Spots all over......one Bass Boat company Bass Cat has come up with a completely new Bunk system for their in house trailers, Linex the bunks then they use this Pillow type of Rubber material that lets the air and water circulate....If you look at their Website you will see, pretty smart folks in Mt Home Ark....
Old 10-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood

that would be a shame if Nabbers is gone i have heard nothing but good stuff about them.

gimmie a shout silversupercoupe (in the mornings) if you want to discuss your boat 419-461-4114 i am right at the mi/oh ;line.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
that would be a shame if Nabbers is gone i have heard nothing but good stuff about them.

gimmie a shout silversupercoupe (in the mornings) if you want to discuss your boat 419-461-4114 i am right at the mi/oh ;line.
Nabber's called me back and said they are very much still in business. I told them about the FB page that said they may be permanently closed and he said he'd look into fixing that.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave

thanks...I'll be giving you a call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.