Drive Showers ?? >

Drive Showers ??

Notices
Formula

Drive Showers ??

Old 05-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To spray water down on the top bearing cap is one way of cooling, but remember this. That top bearing cap is 1" thick. It's going to take MASSIVE amounts of water to cool it off enough to provide even the slightest amount of oil temperature drop.
We target the area of the outdrive where most of the heat is generated. By spraying water on that area, we can reduce the oil temperature 65 degrees (if using a Halo Max) and 50-55 degrees (if using a Summit Max Drive Shower. The walls of the outdrive are 1/8" thick. Much easier to cool when walls are thinner. In reference to cost, we have to pay to have these made, we have to buy stainless steel bolts and spacers, boxes, postage etc.
They only fit Mercruiser Alpha and Bravo outdrives.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by SimrekinNC
To spray water down on the top bearing cap is one way of cooling, but remember this. That top bearing cap is 1" thick. It's going to take MASSIVE amounts of water to cool it off enough to provide even the slightest amount of oil temperature drop.
We target the area of the outdrive where most of the heat is generated. By spraying water on that area, we can reduce the oil temperature 65 degrees (if using a Halo Max) and 50-55 degrees (if using a Summit Max Drive Shower. The walls of the outdrive are 1/8" thick. Much easier to cool when walls are thinner. In reference to cost, we have to pay to have these made, we have to buy stainless steel bolts and spacers, boxes, postage etc.
They only fit Mercruiser Alpha and Bravo outdrives.
Thanks for posting. Finally some real info and numbers. I believe a lot of guys are dumping water on the top and the only benefit is it stays clean. Meanwhile the water pickup can scrub 1-3 mph. That's why I have never been sold on drive showers.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Thanks for posting. Finally some real info and numbers. I believe a lot of guys are dumping water on the top and the only benefit is it stays clean. Meanwhile the water pickup can scrub 1-3 mph. That's why I have never been sold on drive showers.
I've tried a few different types of showers over the years on both performance boats and Formula SS series. Not one of them scrubbed any speed that I could notice, meaning if they did it was less than 1mph. I highly doubt any of them would scrub 2-3 mph.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I tested one on a small light weight boat that responds to everythng +or-. Seriously. Like everything.

No speed decrease.

Now,as I have mentioned before,I ran in to one once with an adjustable pick up height that was mounted with pick up too low,and caused the prop to blow out. That obviously decreased speed. But once it was adjusted so that pick up barely stuck out of cavitation plate, cavitation was gone.

Some other's have run into this with non adjustable pick up, and have had to trim them back.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Registered

Let me know when you're ready to order.
Thanks for choosing Simrek.
Chuck
Chuck, Can you please shoot me some numbers in a reply to my PM please.. Thanks, SJ
Old 05-03-2016, 05:08 PM
Registered

Nice photo Steve
Old 05-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

OK. I have heard people report a noticeable speed loss but apparently most do not. I like this halo idea to spray down the sides of the upper.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KMONEY306
Nice photo Steve

Thank you.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SteveFastech382
Chuck, Can you please shoot me some numbers in a reply to my PM please.. Thanks, SJ
Hey Chuck, Still waiting on a reply to my PM ?? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Registered

Steve,
I replied to your PM but it also said you have to clean out some of your PM's before you can read my reply.
Thanks.....Chuck
I only had four in there. Lol. I deleted a couple. Thanks.