New 88 242LS with a few questions

Notices
Formula

New 88 242LS with a few questions

Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
If that were the problem the trailer up would not work.

Congratulations on your new social director, I mean boat. I think you will love the 242. Where will you be boating?
Thanks!

90% of the time it will be on lake Michigan.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:16 AM
Registered

I just solved both of the same problems when I changed my transom assemblies. Not that you need to go that extreme but I had defective trim limit switches and the hose connecting the speedometer to the lower unit wasn't connected. I didn't realize at the time that the speedo pick up is in the lower unit. If you don't know there's a very small notch in the leading edge of the lower unit, so small it looks like a nick from hitting something in the water. That's connected to a small hose on the top of the lower unit and that hose runs to the inside of the boat. There's plenty of info on both of these via search or feel free to ask away.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezrizer
I just solved both of the same problems when I changed my transom assemblies. Not that you need to go that extreme but I had defective trim limit switches and the hose connecting the speedometer to the lower unit wasn't connected. I didn't realize at the time that the speedo pick up is in the lower unit. If you don't know there's a very small notch in the leading edge of the lower unit, so small it looks like a nick from hitting something in the water. That's connected to a small hose on the top of the lower unit and that hose runs to the inside of the boat. There's plenty of info on both of these via search or feel free to ask away.
Awesome thanks! Where does everyone get parts online? I would like to use genuine parts of possible.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go2marine.com is a reasonable site that does well. To get better than that you will have to do a LOT of online searches.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Welcome to the club! Post some pics! We love pics!

What do you have for power?
Old 04-30-2016, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great boat we loved ours, I agree check the solenoids the wires often get brittle or break down there, after thats confirmed chase the quicksilver controls as mentioned on last page
Old 04-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezrizer
You were right on the hose being disconnected from the lower unit! Still have yet to test out the limit switch as it has been crummy weather here and the boat is outside at the moment until I figure out where I'm going to store it.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

My speedometer hasn't worked since I purchase the boat, the hose is disconnected at the drive. I just use my Garmin for speed. My up switch did not work when I bought the boat but my switch was on the console and not the throttle, I moved the wire over to the other terminal on the switch and it started working again.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:59 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone! Also the motor has about 2 hours on it since it was fully rebuilt in August of 15. It still has the break in oil. How long should I run that oil for?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/1...-break-engine/

This is a good read up on how often to change the oil in a new motor break in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.