Formula F-302 with Twin LS/Bravo

Notices
Formula

Formula F-302 with Twin LS/Bravo

Old 05-13-2016, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Formula F-302 with Twin LS/Bravo

My brother and I are both Formula guys and he has come across a deal that may be available. He's in the kitchen remodeling business and a customer has a project '83 F-302 that seems solid with no power or drives. The customer also has a pair of marinized LS 6.0 motors based on Escalade LQ-9 engines with mild cams and marine exhaust. The builds match specs that Super Chevy did a few years back using carbs and intakes making 450 HP and about 500 # TQ...receipts in hand.The boat was originally set up for TRS Drives.

I suggested updating to Bravo Drives.

A few questions come to mind. Will the transom work with Bravo's having TRS cut outs or will the transom need a complete re-work? Will the LS engines produce the TQ to adequately move this rig ? My experience with 302's from that era came with twin 330/454 TRS power that moved along nicely at a 45~50 MPH cruise and 60-65 MPH top end depending on load. I'm thinking with the lighter LS motors this thing might be a sleeper.

My brother said the customer is looking for Barter Value in the boat against a $25K kitchen job. I suggested starting at about $5k~$6K credit for the boat and engines if we can run them and evaluate and see where it goes from there.

Any thoughts ?
Old 05-14-2016, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a cool little project!

I am not sure a TRS cutout will work with a bravo without some filling! Here is a picture of my boat with TRS cutouts. I think the holes a wider than a bravo cutout. I might have the templates I made in the garage that had the dimensions of the TRS holes on it, you can then find the bravo cutout size online and compare the two!

Old 05-14-2016, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The cut outs are different and it would need to be redone. The rear of the boat would be much lighter without trs, transmissions, and big blocks and might be nose heavy coming off ocean waves.
I like the LS idea, and think it would move it nicely. I also like smooth shifting borg warner trans too...
Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to go to Bravo then you would need to fill in the transom and re-cut it. There are a few people that have made plates for this. You may be able to find one of those as well?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

The balance with the TRS boats is quite nice and the shifting is sweet. With those LS motors I would think it could move along quite nicely.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
The balance with the TRS boats is quite nice and the shifting is sweet. With those LS motors I would think it could move along quite nicely.
That's what I was thinking also.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:23 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

302 is one of my top favorite riding boat of its size. They really do kick ass for what they are.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
302 is one of my top favorite riding boat of its size. They really do kick ass for what they are.
I agree...I have made several Bahamas crossings at the helm and as a rider/lookout on 302's back in the day. They are as smooth as ever at 45~50 in 3~5 ft seas.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Registered

Well...my brother offered a $5K credit towards the work. Motors sound strong on the floor...moisture meter reads well in all of "The Places". I told him to expect a counter...so we will see.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how much you want to spend on it, a complete good running fresh water formula 302 ready to go will most likely be more value per dollar invested