Notices
Formula

Ideas for cooling down 292 engine compartment

Old 08-08-2016, 07:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revspan
I am now convinced more than ever that there is a breathing issue in the 292. Pulled the beauty cover off the starboard engine and during a hole shot, this engine world pull 2-300 more rpm than other engine. The first time this had ever happened. Repeated and this is a fact. Once on plane, the rpm would balance, but the starboard engine made more torque with the covers off. In addition, with the hatch cracked about 8", intake temps would steadily drop. With it closed, it would steadily rise. Outside temps at 86 and engine intake temps would run up to 135. Open hatch as little and the temps go to 115.

Not sure my next step, but also did a quick run with hatch cracked and hit 66 with full tank and two adults. Made 5000 rpm with stock 28p B1s
I did the same experiment this past weekend with similar results. The port engine w/o the beauty cover pulled ~200 more RPM's during acceleration coming on plane. With both covers removed, the boat planed noticeably quicker. So the beauty covers are in the garage for the rest of the season and probably for good.

I see the posts about the larger flame arrestors, so I plan to order those once I sort out the correct part number and manufacturer.

This has been a great thread.

Dave.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:47 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I have a good opinion on why the use of beauty covers outside of the more obvious reason of 'creating a look.'

I've worked on many boats where water leaks right on top of them, because of engine hatch design. ie: where the hatches open. I would not want water dripping for hrs, days, or etc on top of my flame arrestor as water can/will enter the screen parts easy as it runs off top of arrestor. Furthermore, I would be positive Manufacturers don't want water dripping on and into a flame arrestor either.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it is good to hear that the test would repeat! I really think that for the 292, the solution is to get a new arrestor(I sent a message to the company that made them to resurrect the design and make a few as I cannot find anything from Sierra, Barbron etc), lift the arrestor 4-5" from the current height with an extension pipe, build a kind of "hat" to help direct around the FA, and then duct air to the FA area. The "hat' would simply be a piece of aluminum that is larger by 2-3" in diameter than the diameter of the FA, with a shield around it....extending down and around the FA a few inches. This will help get ambient air to the FA...and not just blow by, and also help keep radiant heat from the intake area. Of course, it would not be too sealed up, so air can still move around a little. Imagine a large frypan upside down on top of the FA, with a cutout for the 4" air duct from the air inlet. With all of this, it could also be possible to put the beauty cover back on....maybe it could be integrated somehow too.
After all this...the engine intake will be as good as it can get without cutting fiberglass....which is not in the works.

Still all of this needs some work. The piping is easy.....and afternoon project. The "hat" is a little work for a fab shop. Finding a FA seems to be one of the biggest issues right now. I found a K&N one that could work, but really would like the Barbron version to make sure the safety functionality of the FA is not questioned. The K&N is not a direct bolt on.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it is good to hear that the test would repeat! I really think that for the 292, the solution is to get a new arrestor(I sent a message to the company that made them to resurrect the design and make a few as I cannot find anything from Sierra, Barbron etc), lift the arrestor 4-5" from the current height with an extension pipe, build a kind of "hat" to help direct around the FA, and then duct air to the FA area. The "hat' would simply be a piece of aluminum that is larger by 2-3" in diameter than the diameter of the FA, with a shield around it....extending down and around the FA a few inches. This will help get ambient air to the FA...and not just blow by, and also help keep radiant heat from the intake area. Of course, it would not be too sealed up, so air can still move around a little. Imagine a large frypan upside down on top of the FA, with a cutout for the 4" air duct from the air inlet. With all of this, it could also be possible to put the beauty cover back on....maybe it could be integrated somehow too.
After all this...the engine intake will be as good as it can get without cutting fiberglass....which is not in the works.

Still all of this needs some work. The piping is easy.....and afternoon project. The "hat" is a little work for a fab shop. Finding a FA seems to be one of the biggest issues right now. I found a K&N one that could work, but really would like the Barbron version to make sure the safety functionality of the FA is not questioned. The K&N is not a direct bolt on.
Let me know if you find someone to make the FA as long as they fit properly and are CG compliant. I'll take two.

Dave
Old 08-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Registered

looks like I should start making FA kits!

I have an idea for an adapter that would make any carb FA work. I have to layout some material to see if it will work.

It would even offset the larger filter to clear the throttle linkage and offer a standard center stud mount to be used.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:50 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by COOPS
looks like I should start making FA kits!

I have an idea for an adapter that would make any carb FA work. I have to layout some material to see if it will work.

It would even offset the larger filter to clear the throttle linkage and offer a standard center stud mount to be used.
Do it - and I'll help sell'm, just got to give me decent wholesale pricing.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:28 PM
Registered

Well enough talk...I am moving forward. Turns out that the 496 air FA will fit right on the TB. This should flow more than enough, and it will clamp right on as it does on the 496. This will actually make things a lot easier for a number of reasons. The look will be different, but the function will be great.

So, I hope to get the new FAs before the weekend, and do some testing. It could even be the case that I can get the tubing done....so I will have most of it done.

Here is the FA I am putting on.

ARRESTOR-FLAME Mercruiser 862537T
Old 08-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the latest from Revspan:

Here we go.* This is simply the parts put together without any idea if they fit.* From what I see, there are two option, one is the quick route to the FA, the other uses the 180 deg turn, which should wrap around the Bimini shelf and can move the pipe forward a little so the angle to the FA is a little better.* I like this idea as I would drill a few small holes in the 180 to assure water can drain.* Need to get it into the boat and decide what is best....but I think that a few cuts, some fab work to make some hangers and it should be good to go.

Looks like some nice hardware Kai! Anxious to hear how the new flame arrestors work for you.
Attached Thumbnails Ideas for cooling down 292 engine compartment-air-intake.jpg  
Old 08-10-2016, 07:36 AM
SB
Registered

Well enough talk...I am moving forward. Turns out that the 496 air FA will fit right on the TB. This should flow more than enough, and it will clamp right on as it does on the 496. This will actually make things a lot easier for a number of reasons. The look will be different, but the function will be great.

So, I hope to get the new FAs before the weekend, and do some testing. It could even be the case that I can get the tubing done....so I will have most of it done.

Here is the FA I am putting on.

ARRESTOR-FLAME Mercruiser 862537T
Cool !

Pics from a previous post.

Originally Posted by SB
Wouldn't it be great if something like the 496 flame arrestor would clamp on ? I think the flange on it is like 3.750 as far as i could find.
Mercruiser 862537T - Flame Arrestor
Mercruiser 54-863393 - Clamp

Old 08-10-2016, 07:41 AM
SB
Registered

If you can trim 'beauty cover' it may look Merc 565ish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.