SR1 or go newer fastech???

Notices
Formula

Old 09-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read and followed Audiofns threads about a sr1 rebuild that were very informative. I am currently looking at a very nice 311 sr1 with moisture in the foam around the fuel tank area. Both bulkheads fore and aft the cockpit area appear to be in good shape still. Engine stringers and Transom are dry and have no issues yet. The rear bulkhead shows over 30% moisture after little use then the owner is able to dry it out to 11% some how. What kind of cost would be incurred to change the fuel tank, wet foam and any rotten stringers or bulkheads in that area. I would probably job this task out. Is it worth it??? I really like the looks of the sr1. It already has a good trailer, new engines, re apolstered cockpit, new imron paint. Looks sharp. But only for the right total price. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Or I could skip this all together and look for a newer dry boat. Don't know if 8gs will cover everything.

Last edited by simpson8; 09-18-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Add a word
Old 09-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Registered

Go newer if you can. I bought a bout to enjoy it, not work on it
Old 09-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Registered

Baught -- Oups
Old 09-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Registered

Anyone familiar or have experience with the DryBoat process?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are just torturing yourself with this moisture thing. just buy the boat and enjoy it already! lol seriously why not just buy the 311 and roll with it as is? you've got years before you'd get into anything structural and most likely by then you'll be ready to trade up to something larger/newer. then you can probably sell for what you paid, or if you find your still loving the 311 then invest the money on repairs.
also keep in mind newer doesn't necessarily mean dryer. I've known 2002's that had soaking wet transoms.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 02 292 end of 07. I enjoyed about 5-6 years pretty much maintenance free, aside from standard service. Like us all, now she's getting older and age is catching up with her. Seems every season now, I have at least one big expense fixing or replacing something. Boating is an expense, new or old time will catch up with them eventually. As long as your prepared to have an open wallet policy for them they will give you just as much joy & pleasure as they will headaches.
The following users liked this post:
tpivega (08-01-2023)
Old 09-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by blckkat
I think you are just torturing yourself with this moisture thing. just buy the boat and enjoy it already! lol seriously why not just buy the 311 and roll with it as is? you've got years before you'd get into anything structural and most likely by then you'll be ready to trade up to something larger/newer. then you can probably sell for what you paid, or if you find your still loving the 311 then invest the money on repairs.
also keep in mind newer doesn't necessarily mean dryer. I've known 2002's that had soaking wet transoms.
I guess that's my main scare is structural or hull failure in rough waters. The idea of not knowing how bad the moisture or rot is along with a possible fuel tank corrosion leading up to a leak.