Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Post 1995 303 checkout report, please advise... >

Post 1995 303 checkout report, please advise...

Notices
Formula

Post 1995 303 checkout report, please advise...

Old 02-14-2017, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post 1995 303 checkout report, please advise...

Right off the bat, I have some questions for you 454 Mag EFI experts. This might be long,but bear with me.

First, the dealer sales rep told me that they replaced the twins with "drop in crate motors" that have between 15 and 20 hours on them. Come to find out today by their mechanic that they actually were long blocks with all new accessories and the intakes, fuel injectors and dizzies were reused. Ok, that explains some of the very light corrosion one would expect on a 1995 Formula's engines. I saw the new high pressure fuel pumps mounted on the left sides of each motor. It doesn't look factory. But I guess the motors are Gen 6 vs Gen 5? Would that make sense?

Second, the motors were started "cold" (relatively speaking, lol. It was 78 degrees). The 1995 vintage Formula VDO gauges all seemed to work properly. However, the Port motor showed like 25psi of oil pressure cold and the Starboard motor registered like 38psi. FYI, I heard no bad engine noises on either at startup. We proceeded to take the boat out and run it at varying speeds. The Port motor oil PSI was still around 30ish and the Starboard motor was 40ish. Water temps read around 165-170 the whole time. Should those oil psi reading be a concern?
At all speeds the engines seemed to run smooth and fast (to me). Idle to WFO.

Third, the motors each had a PCV vent (like you'd see on a car). Each one looked like a mini K&N style conical air filter on end. Looking at the Starboard one, you could see little bubbles of oil popping out but not spilling over. The port one was a little better but the same.
Of course, the sales guy told the mechanic that we ran it hard. Hmmmm, a few hole shots, some mid range cruising (2500-4000rpm) and a one WFO run to 4800rpm for about 20-30 seconds tops. It topped out at like 72 on the speedo running 25 pitch Mirage 3 blades..

Fourth, both of the motors seemed to stumble a bit from off idle. Kinda what I would expect from an old carb motor that hasn't been run very much. But, the mechanic said all the 454 Mag EFI's and 502 Mag EFI's have a "stumble". I have never heard that but then again, I haven't
driven a boat with old big block EFI's in it. Does that sound right? If not, what would cause the slight stumble. Once the motors "clear their throats" the run perfect.

As far as the overall condition of the boat, it was very nice. However, I was told repeatedly that the boat has been inside the dealers boatel since new. Ok, then, why are you replacing the "headrest" sections on the engine hatch cover because the wood is rotten? Why does it look like I see a nasty water scum line when you lift up the step into the cabin?

I'll get some pics as soon as I can get them out of my phone (the memory is full now, lol).

That is all I can think of now. Any input would be appreciated!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Registered

I'd post a couple pics but it says I can't post attachments?????
Old 02-15-2017, 04:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer boat or consignment. I would get a survey.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by formula1
I'd post a couple pics but it says I can't post attachments?????
You need to be a paying member....
Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Registered

if you use photo bucket you can just copy the link from the picture and post them here.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Registered

Since I am slammed at work today, hopefully, people understood my post and can comment on some of the points without pics. Especially, the PCV and stumble issue
Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula1
Since I am slammed at work today, hopefully, people understood my post and can comment on some of the points without pics. Especially, the PCV and stumble issue
I had the 454 mag mpi in my outlaw, and there was ZERO stumble. I love those motors. But even thought hey say they are new engines, I'd still get a compression test and leakdown. Finally, it sounds like a well used saltwater boat, which is a big negative to me
Old 02-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

I agree... get a survey. Some stuff seems a bit out of whack.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

1st: So you are saying there are no mechanical fuel pumps on the sea water pump housings? Instead you see electric fuel pumps mounted somwhere on the left side of each engine (assuming facing the engine)? Is the VST still intact?

2nd: I wouldn't be concerned with the oil pressure reading on the gauges until you can verify true readings with a mechanical gauge. Not unusual for old sending units/gauges to be off.

3rd: If memory serves, the original setup would have been a PCV valve on one side that crossed over and tied in to the PCV valve on the other valve cover that then connect to the bottom of the upper plenum with a single hose. Without proper venting it would not be unusual to see oil in those breathers that are just pushed into the valve covers after a run. If they kept the Lingenfelter EFI setup I'm not sure why they wouldn't have kept the original PCV setup.

4th: There should be no hesitation or stumble off idle on these engines if everything is in order. The mechanic is telling tales.

Pics would go a long way in helping determine what you have.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies so far. It certainly seems like there have been alot of BS coming out of the dealership about this boat. The only thing that has been correct, is that cosmetically, it looks like a 2015 and the performance is spot on. Now it's just the details like all the things I mentioned in the first post. It urks me when I ask a question and I get a BS answer, like "all the EFI 454 & 502's do that" (stumble). Like I'm stupid or something to think Mercury would even bring an engine to market that would work like that. I don't really want to spend the $$ on a survey until I make sure this is the boat for me and I understand the issues I am dealing with (in case the surveyor is just as incompetent or on their payroll). I noticed there is a MarineMax across the river from these folks. I wonder if they would drive it there for a survey to be done....

Last edited by formula1; 02-15-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.