1988 sr1 272 prop question

Notices
Formula

1988 sr1 272 prop question

Old 06-10-2017, 09:28 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have a bottom rocker at the stern of the boat. Check with a straight edge. Also you might want to try some Hydromotive 4 blade props for some stern lift. They really helped my 311. Get some base lines with the 21 and 23 props and give them a call
Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oconnor marine
Howdy, I thought you had 21's if I recall.. when you bought that boat last year? also didnt you junk the EFI? and go with carbs?
the boat came with a pair of 21 mirage props that I ran for a very short while. I had a 23 mirage that I ran on my Checkmate and found a matching prop so i switched to the 23's. I'd like to tryna pair of 23 mirage pluses but not having counter rotating drives makes finding props a bit harder (aka more expensive..)

I did end up switching to carbs but I still pull the same RPM's as before. Only reason i changed is because I was having trouble with keeping the motors from stalling at low RPM's and nothing I did seemed to fix the issue. The EFI was very cool but the fact of not being able to accurately diagnose the issue and then even if I did figure it out most of the parts are no longer available made it a pretty easy decision.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JimNut
the boat came with a pair of 21 mirage props that I ran for a very short while. I had a 23 mirage that I ran on my Checkmate and found a matching prop so i switched to the 23's. I'd like to tryna pair of 23 mirage pluses but not having counter rotating drives makes finding props a bit harder (aka more expensive..)

I did end up switching to carbs but I still pull the same RPM's as before. Only reason i changed is because I was having trouble with keeping the motors from stalling at low RPM's and nothing I did seemed to fix the issue. The EFI was very cool but the fact of not being able to accurately diagnose the issue and then even if I did figure it out most of the parts are no longer available made it a pretty easy decision.
Oh Okay great thanks for the response. So is it fair to say when you switched to Carbs you didnt lose any performance? What combination of carb intake etc you used?
Also when you had the 21s on there what was the MAX rpm you got? thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't noticed any performance loss at all switching to the carbs. I used Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intakes and QuickFuel Marine 650cfm carbs. Throttle response is very crisp and low RPM manners are fantastic now.

I only ran the 21 props the boat came with a handful of times and never ran them out to see how high they would go. I backed off after it was over 5500 rpm and that was around 63-65mph depending on conditions. With the 23 mirages I am right around 5300 RPM but that is with full fuel and 4-5 people on board and a couple coolers. I would like to prop the boat for a max of 5200-5300 with low fuel and just myself on board. I would really like to try a set of 23 mirage pluses to see how it performs.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Oops

Last edited by oconnor marine; 09-11-2020 at 12:55 PM.