Question on my Kenwood head unit and use with iPhone

Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Could not agree more.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 353 had what I suspect was the original Kenwood KRC-805 unit but the flip face plate was acting finicky so I just replaced it with a new Kenwood 368BT mentioned earlier in this thread. I think it was $99 and free shipping from eBay. It took me about an hour to install. I downloaded the Kenwood app for my iPhone and can control iTunes, Sirius, radio etc. all via by iPhone Bluetooth. There is no detectable degradation of the sound quality with this setup, it absolutely rocks. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

Last edited by Thunderous; 09-12-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Registered

When I bought my 2003 the radio didn't work. I upgraded to the D368BT, so far its been awesome. Have to add more than the 2 speakers in the cockpit though. don't really need the ones on the cabin. works perfectly with my IPhone 6s plus. only thing that i want to work now that doesn't is the radio remote on the dash. That will have to be upgraded.

Last edited by RGPIII; 09-13-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Registered

I just bought a Kenwood KDCX597 remote for $9 on eBay, It's supposed to be compatible with this head unit. I'm going to mount it in place of where the old remote was next to the tab switches.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thunderous
I just bought a Kenwood KDCX597 remote for $9 on eBay, It's supposed to be compatible with this head unit. I'm going to mount it in place of where the old remote was next to the tab switches.
Let me know how that works I may do the same thing.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

I used a KCA-RC35MR with my 368BT (mounted on the panel right in front of my gauges). It has worked flawlessly so far. I was thinking of using the digital version, but reviews on it were less than stellar. I've thought of adding another remote at the transom for convenience, but I'm afraid of drilling any unnecessary holes back there.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 AM
Registered

What worried me about the digital version (KCA-RC55MR) was that Kenwood warns against using it in direct sunlight and heat, even though its supposed to be a marine unit. I'm guessing the little LCD display would probably cook. That's why I bought the same 35 non digital version you noted above, which I have not yet installed because we were so enamored with the iPhone app. Obviously the app is worthless while you are hauling ass down the lake, the remote would be nice in that situation and I am sure the more I use my phone on the boat the more likely its going to wind up in the lake. You have a pic of it installed?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Having the remote at the helm is awesome. The 35 is the way to go... the 55 LCD fails fairly easily.

I'll try to get a pic later. I'm headed out the door for a business trip.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Use a cheap cord or replace with a Fusion Head unit - They are all waterproof and Bluetooth (not that you need waterproof on the 353).

Got rid of the remote by going to a new GPS too, on mine. The new GPS's will run Fusion radios.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep the kenwood! I spent a wheelbarrow of $$$ on a new latest boom boom Alpine/JBL system and it sounded like crap. The old stock kenwood was better, oh and my 400SS came with a new latest FUSION system....it lasted 2 years and quit. Kenwoods I think are indestructable. Older the better! HA