Newbie with some questions about my 353

Notices
Formula

Newbie with some questions about my 353

Old 07-25-2017, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with some questions about my 353

Just bought a very clean 1998 353 up in Wisconsin, it was advertised in the classifieds here on OSO. Two owners, low hours, 525SCs.

- Do those of you who own these engines post here or in a different forum? I have several questions.

- I want to upgrade to Livorsi gauges ASAP. Any advice on where to buy them?

- The boat has noisy bolster actuators. I've done some searching here but have not found anything conclusive about whether this is a matter of lubricating or replacing the actuators. Sources for parts?

- Has anyone found an economical replacement for the hatch actuator?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hatch actuator, I threw that like outdated pile in the parts in the scrap bucket. Not familiar with your bolster actuators but I would suggest getting under it and seeing what is moving, never hurts to give it a few shots of a good lubricant. I use hilco lube on all of my stuff. You will get good support on this forum, I know I have at least. There are some very knowledgeable minds here.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What questions do you have with the 525sc? I've become somewhat familure with them after doing rebuilds this year.

Should be a strong performing boat!
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would recommend using the search function for 525SC info. There have been a lot of threads that myself and others have posted good info about them.
Post specific questions in the General Q & A for the best results if don't find your answers with a search.

Hatch actuator will run about $350 from CPPerformance. When I got my last one, I searched and they were about the lowest price I could find.

You most likely have McLeod power bolster seats. If the actuator is making noise, it may have a grease zirk, but most likely you will need a new one. Look for a part number on it google it.

Swapping gauges will be more work than you think. Your gauges are probably Gaffrig Performance which are actually Livorsi. The new Livorsi have a Deutsch plug in though and you will need to convert your current wiring to the plug ins.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Bolsters likely need to come apart to find part #s and fully diagnose. Gauges are ordered, still trying to get in touch with Innotech. I'll post the 525 questions in the General Forum.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Bolsters are electric, they are noisy since I believe they turn a ball screw. They should sound a bit like the actuator for the hatch, but work more reliably.

Can get the hatch actuator converted to hydraulic, like the cigs - very quiet and reliable.

How many hours on the 525's?