Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Fresh water flush options (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/351200-fresh-water-flush-options.html)

formula1 12-06-2017 12:49 PM

Fresh water flush options

Hey, on my 303, I need to figure out the best way to get these motors flushed. Being that it is hanging on a lift, it is extremely difficult to accomplish this task with the lift configuration I have now. So, question is, would it be better to get a full length rear service platform to get awesome access to both motors and drives? That way I would utilize the "ear muff" method to flush each motor. Or, would it be better to have a pair of flush kits installed in the motor compartment (or under the seat or on the transom (cut holes, ugh)) and connect a hose to the inside compartment and flush that way? A full length platform with necessary attachments and upgrades will probably run $1000-1500 (max). I am not sure what the flush kits go for these days, but I am pretty sure they would be alot cheaper, like $6-800 installed.
What do ya'll think? Also, what about the Salt Away or similar products? Are they worth it? Right now, the water is very fresh (and brown) because of the millions of gallons of fresh water being dumped into the river from Lake Okeechobee. In January or February, it'll be a different story unless we have a very wet "winter".

Redneckcustoms13 12-06-2017 02:15 PM

Why can't you put muffs on the engines with it on the lift? Maybe be in a small inflatable boat or aluminum boat.

MullenTJ86 12-06-2017 04:33 PM

That's a tough decision to make, a lot depends on the flush system you'd add to the boat. Some of those plastic ones have horror stories and can put your boat at the bottom if they bust, but the ease of use is a very nice perk. How often do you use the boat? The flush sys might be better if you're a frequent boater. With your lift, can you drop a 2x12 down across the back of your lift so you can walk across and access the drives that way?

We've been running Salt Away thru the drives & intercoolers after each use for 2 yrs now, pulled the manifolds off this fall and they were in good shape. Salt away is great stuff, use it to rinse down the trailer too.

Redneckcustoms13 12-06-2017 05:52 PM

I thought about the 2x12 but I figured if the slip was wide enough the 2x12 would bow in the middle and your freeze your butt off when you fell in.

Sydwayz 12-06-2017 08:51 PM

There are a few kits out there to add a garden hose fitting to your bilge. It's been discussed a few times here on the past. Search "fresh water flush kit" or similar. This is THE way to go, and ONLY do so with a T-fitting that does NOT have a check-ball or other restriction in it. All you need is a 'wide open" Tee-fitting. When you turn on the hose, it flushes from the T-fitting back out the drive. When you turn on the engine, it sucks the water right into the SWP. The Tee-fitting get installed between the transom assembly and the SWP.

Oh yeah, and F using muffs on a drive. I hate it, PITFA. Albeit, I am forced to do so on my old Mercury outboard on my little cat.

Kefurr 12-06-2017 09:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I bought the merc kit then had a panel made for the fresh water fill and engine flush and mounted it in the engine compartment

Mentalpause 12-07-2017 09:12 AM

I have an 8' long platform attached to the back of my lift. I use it all the time. There are cheaper ways to flush your engines, but the platform allows me to easily clean and wax the transom, same for the engines (Verados). I also use it for engine and drive oil changes. If you are looking at it for more than just flushing the engines, it is priceless.

formula1 12-07-2017 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4598007)
There are a few kits out there to add a garden hose fitting to your bilge. It's been discussed a few times here on the past. Search "fresh water flush kit" or similar. This is THE way to go, and ONLY do so with a T-fitting that does NOT have a check-ball or other restriction in it. All you need is a 'wide open" Tee-fitting. When you turn on the hose, it flushes from the T-fitting back out the drive. When you turn on the engine, it sucks the water right into the SWP. The Tee-fitting get installed between the transom assembly and the SWP.

Oh yeah, and F using muffs on a drive. I hate it, PITFA. Albeit, I am forced to do so on my old Mercury outboard on my little cat.

I kinda agree with you on the muffs, but I don't know if I want to worry about fittings failing etc. That T you are talking about must mean that the flush fitting would get mounted pretty high up in the engine compartment, right?

Originally Posted by Redneckcustoms13 (Post 4597951)
I thought about the 2x12 but I figured if the slip was wide enough the 2x12 would bow in the middle and your freeze your butt off when you fell in.

Yeah, it's like a 12' wide lift.

Originally Posted by Kefurr (Post 4598013)
I bought the merc kit then had a panel made for the fresh water fill and engine flush and mounted it in the engine compartment

That looks nice!

Originally Posted by Mentalpause (Post 4598064)
I have an 8' long platform attached to the back of my lift. I use it all the time. There are cheaper ways to flush your engines, but the platform allows me to easily clean and wax the transom, same for the engines (Verados). I also use it for engine and drive oil changes. If you are looking at it for more than just flushing the engines, it is priceless.

That's the way I am leaning. I could change props, drive services, clean and wax all the transom equipment. I am going to have the lift guy do a more detailed quote. The service platform would be a two foot wide and approx' 11' long suspended from the aluminum walkboards on either side of the boat. From the design he is talking about, there would be some movement of this service platform while its being used.

Mentalpause 12-07-2017 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
2 feet wide is pretty slim. Mine is the width of the slip, 12 feet, and 8 feet out the back of the boat. Plenty of room to work with engines down, or tilted up without wondering when I'm going to fall in the drink. There have been plenty of times that I dropped a gasket, or an oil or lower unit drain plug that I was glad I had the extra area for it to roll around and not go in the water.

ph1971 12-07-2017 08:39 PM

CRC Salt Terminator is worth every penny.