1990 272 sr1

Notices
Formula

1990 272 sr1

Old 12-22-2017, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 272 sr1

Always liked this model of Formula and got a lead on one and considering buying it. I have concerns about buying a 27 year old boat. What should I look out for and what are the problem areas this year/model has had(Based on your experience). Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts

This has been covered extensively in this forum. Search is your friend.

With that that said pay attention to areas that are common failure points for older boats: transom, stringers, bulkheads.

Fornula boats of this vintage have issues with the bulkhead that is aft of the fuel tank. A thorough inspection of this area including the stringers is important. Another area of concern is the well under the cabin step. A leaking windshield will cause water to get trapped under the step. This trapped water can lead to rotten bulkheads and stingers in the cabin.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A buddy of mine had an 87 272 with twin small blocks. I had another boating friend own a 1990 311. I understand that later years that model was offered with big blocks. I have owned a 1990 292 sr1, a 1986 Kamma 357 sr1, and a 1997 419 Fastec. All that said, IMHO, the 311 is the boat to own. Find a good example of a 311 and check for all the areas that TomZ mentions above. The 311 is a great rough water boat, that is a great boat with 365 mags and 502 mags. I would stay away from the 330 HP 454. Also, check the exhaust system, if there is even a little water stain on the exterior of the exhaust, then water is getting into the engine. Re-fit with an aftermarket exhaust by Stainless Marine or other. Good luck. Oh, my favorite Formula is the 419 Fastec. Just an amazing boat! 83 mph wave crushing beast!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if you want a project but I have a 91 311 sitting on a 07 trailer that Ill let go for 9k.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:35 AM
Registered

I have a 1991 272 SR1. These hulls have a wicked hook. Feel under the hull about the last 15" for about a 3/4" hook. This was done at the factory, theoretically to slow them down. I don't know if that was really the reason, but is does slow the boat down. These hulls handle rough water very well, but are not the fastest. I replaced my stock power with custom 500 hp engines with Bravo XZ drives. She tops out in the upper 70's but is very stable at any speed. Love mine.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:44 AM
Registered

i love my 89, I wish there was more working room in the engine bay, replacing sea pumps is a major PITA. Sonic is right they aren't the speediest thing out there, but they do handle big water very well especially for a 27. they're also very ass heavy so they take some getting used to for learning how to trim these things out. k-planes go a long way in these boats. besides checking for rot do yourself a favor and check all the systems, things like leaks in hydraulic on trim pumps, check for tightness on the cables. etc. I bought mine thinking it needed a new power steering pump only to find out it was actually the cable and it wasn't a fun job nor as cheap as I thought it'd be.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:17 AM
Registered

My first ride in an off-shore boat was in a 1986 272 SR1 with small blocks. I then went to Miami and purchased a 292 SR1 with 365 HP big blocks and bravo 1's. Owned for 7 years, great boat. Added external hydraulic steering and Bob's nose cones, amazing improvements as the boat was on rails in all kinds of seas. Also, added stainless marine exhaust and picked up 4 mph, plus never worried about water reversion in the engines. Kept in a garage on a trailer and sold it looked as new. Really fun boat and got me into a 357 SR1 Kamma, then a 419 Fastec with triple 525SC's and now my fountain 38 Express Cruiser. Damn Formula.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by woldt1
Always liked this model of Formula and got a lead on one and considering buying it. I have concerns about buying a 27 year old boat. What should I look out for and what are the problem areas this year/model has had(Based on your experience). Thanks in advance for your help.
I have a 1988 272 sr1 with small blocks the rare ones with factory 350 ci EFI, 320 HP at 5400RPM, bravo drives. it also has the EMI exhaust. Ive had it for a few seasons. THis was Never used in Salt water so I was told, and I would say by close inspection thats true. As you know when it hasnt been used in salt water thats a BIG plus. as far as any inherent problems, the only thing I can think of is the starboard side battery shelf had some minor rot that the previous owner had a photo of online and it wasnt extensive and he fixed it. He also did a gimbal ring and a bunch of other stuff like bellows and gimbal bearings. He also added nose cones and drive showers. The upholstery can be expensive to redo, the previous owner had that done and i have the slip, I think it was $3500 back in 2013. I love the boat it looks awesome, I get thumbs up everwhere we go, it handle rough water great and goes on plane instantly and is fast enough for me.( right now)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

As many mentioned before, check the areas for the normal issues of that era. These older Formulas hold up very well even as they creep towards 30 years old. I started with a 1989 223LS and moved up to a 1988 292 SR1 all within the last 5 years. I absolutely love these boats in all different conditions out in the water. The classic lines and fit/finish of the older Formulas I feel is unmatched of even some newer boat models.

Check your potential buy over really well and as long as it checks out, you won’t be disappointed. The Formula family is also something that is hard to pass up, all my fellow owners feel strongly about the brand we endorse every weekend on the water. Share some pictures if you have them!