400ss steering

Notices
Formula

400ss steering

Old 02-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 400ss steering

Anyone have the replacement part number or upgraded part number, if there is, for the Teleflex rotary steering helm on the 400ss? Has a lot of slop. Cables seem good and no play in gimble rings either. Steering wheel has 4”’s or so of play before moving cables at all. From what I’ve read l, it’s internal gears with wear.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Suggest contacting Seastar (Teleflex) and ask them. There will be a part number on the unit. Could also contact TAG at Formula or thru the Formula forum. I had similar issue years ago with mine, wound up replacing the helm and cable. That said, after replacing it will reduce the slop but not get rid of it
Old 02-06-2018, 07:59 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. There is no number on the unit itself unless you’re referring to the white paper sticker on it? That’s there, but number faded off. And I know it’ll still be a cable system after replacement, but it can’t be near as bad right?lol
Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that boat deserves external hydraulic steering!!!!
The following users liked this post:
bigboat28 (02-06-2018), Faster Daddy (02-06-2018), SabrToothSqrl (05-11-2023)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Registered

I agree totally!! My Active has it, but obviously had big power and runs a lil better than 70mph lol.
Hard to spend that kind of money when it’ll only run 60 maybe and will usually cruise between 30
and 40 I’m guessing. Just bought it, so don’t really know yet what to do?! Probably get the helm
replaced for now and see how it drives. I know nothing like external, but may be pretty good for
$ I won’t spend on it?!?! Unless someone has a used system they’re ready to sell???
Old 05-11-2023, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Daddy
Anyone have the replacement part number or upgraded part number, if there is, for the Teleflex rotary steering helm on the 400ss? Has a lot of slop. Cables seem good and no play in gimble rings either. Steering wheel has 4”’s or so of play before moving cables at all. From what I’ve read l, it’s internal gears with wear.
I know this thread is pretty old but did you ever find a good solution on a replacement helm? I have the same problem and so far having no luck finding a replacement Teleflex "Big T" with the TILT option to replace my 400SS helm. Thanks
Old 05-11-2023, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And I don't know why my user name is showing up as [email protected]?