Good and Bad Formula 370ss

Notices
Formula

Good and Bad Formula 370ss

Old 05-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good and Bad Formula 370ss

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 2005 Formula 370SS with Mercruiser 496 H.O's. What can you guys who own or have been on this size boat tell me about them? We haven't sea trialed it yet, waiting for the results from a marine survey. This a little bit different style of boating than I am used to coming from numerous older style SR-1 designed hulls. Seems like this boat will be a good blend of speed and comfort.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:26 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

After having several Fastech's I too have been looking at the SS models. I recently completed a survey of a diesel 400SS and loved the boat (too bad an oil analysis showed it's eating aluminum so the sale was cancelled). 20 years ago we had a number of express cruisers and I too feel the SS models are a good mix of both. Haven't owned an SS but i'm still looking! The 370/496 boat should hit low 50's and burn about 1mpg at cruise. Not sure how they handle "big" water but WHO CARES! It's a comfortable boat if you have to stay at the docks!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

My buddy had a 370SS for 3 mos. He drove it like he stole it, had HP500's - fuel bills were insane - came from a 353 and went to a 35 cig wit 525's. He was not one to complain about fuel, but a $200 trip in the 353 was $600 in the 370.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a 350SS with HOs in it. My 350 ran 60 mph WOT. At cruise, about 35-40, it would burn exactly what t500 said, 1 MPG. I never got more than 1MPG, that was the sweet spot. If you got in a hurry, and ran at or close to WOT, it would drop to 1/2 MPG. It never liked much trim. It would porpoise when trimmed out like I was use to with go fast boats. In rougher conditions it ran better trimmed like you normally would run, and slight use of the tabs to control the porpoising. Those characteristics may be quite different on the 370, with the stepped bottom.

All in all, they are nice boats. Finished with the high quality glass and trim work you see in all Formula boats. Lots of room. Great family boat. The women loved sitting around the U shaped lounge. It was my wife's favorite boat. The only downside in my opinion, I didn't enjoy driving it. I came from years in bolster type go fast, responsive, fun to drive and fun to throttle boats. The 350 was more of a set you trim and tabs, and just sit back and steer. They are outstanding for that.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
I had a 350SS with HOs in it. My 350 ran 60 mph WOT. At cruise, about 35-40, it would burn exactly what t500 said, 1 MPG. I never got more than 1MPG, that was the sweet spot. If you got in a hurry, and ran at or close to WOT, it would drop to 1/2 MPG. It never liked much trim. It would porpoise when trimmed out like I was use to with go fast boats. In rougher conditions it ran better trimmed like you normally would run, and slight use of the tabs to control the porpoising. Those characteristics may be quite different on the 370, with the stepped bottom.

All in all, they are nice boats. Finished with the high quality glass and trim work you see in all Formula boats. Lots of room. Great family boat. The women loved sitting around the U shaped lounge. It was my wife's favorite boat. The only downside in my opinion, I didn't enjoy driving it. I came from years in bolster type go fast, responsive, fun to drive and fun to throttle boats. The 350 was more of a set you trim and tabs, and just sit back and steer. They are outstanding for that.
Its been a few years since I've been out on the water so I might not miss the extra speed that comes with the go fast stuff. I like the layout and the extra space it has. Survey is being done tomorrow can't wait to read the report!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the exact year and engines as the 370 you are looking at. Pretty much like everyone has said, hull loves to cruise at 36 - 38 mph @ 3600 - 3700 RPM at which you get about 1 MPG. I had it up to 55 MPH on the sea trial with a light load. Most of the time I cruise with me and the wife, our gear, and the tanks full. I came from a 240 Maxum cuddy so everything on this boat is a step up and we love it. My only complaint is would I have expected a boat this size to ride a little better. I think the 10.5 beam and less deadrise than most FasTech's contribute to this. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I waned to add that we have 6- 8 people on it pretty regularly and never feel cramped. We've had a many as 12 and everyone still had a place to sit, just a great boat to entertain on.

Last edited by afratki; 05-16-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:13 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same thoughts as afraki, friends we boat with. We bought the same boat last fall and simply love it. The Super Sports are the perfect compromise if you're coming from a high performance boat and want a little luxury, comfort and room.

I owned Scarabs over the last 28 years, but the wife wanted something with amenities and comfort. I wasn't quite ready to drive a big cruiser 24 MPH at WOT, so the Formula Super Sports were pretty much all we looked at. In the short period of time we've owned our 370ss, I've learned:
-
  • There is no better boat company than Formula for customer service.
  • Quality of materials, design, fit and finish are 1st rate.
  • Formula will help me find any part on the boat I want to replace or upgrade.
  • Formula genuinely helps owners whether the boat was bought new or used.
  • The wife loves the boat! Happy wife, happy life.
  • Plenty of room, comfort and and well thought-out storage.
  • I need to slow down for the "big boat" wakes now.
  • I find myself calmly and enjoying the 36-40mph range.
  • Go easy up on the throttles.
  • Generally speaking, I find we're burning 1 gallon per hour for each 1 mph, similar to my old 34' Scarab.
Good luck with the survey. Don't forget to follow up and let us know how you make out.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 05-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Registered

I have sold alot of 370SS in the past. It is still a great boat to fill in the transition from go fast to cruiser. It is still very hard to find a good used one here at LOTO.
Capt.Steve 573-216-4392 BTM sales

Last edited by selpel; 05-21-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 PM
Registered

Things are moving in the right direction, just had a survey
completed. I have to book a flight back out to seal trial it and finish the deal.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats. Nice pick up. You will love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.