86 454 242ls wont start

Notices
Formula

86 454 242ls wont start

Old 05-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 454 242ls wont start

hey guys Boat ran like a top all day. Shut if off waiting for people at the ramp. Now it wont start. Could it have gotten to hot? I was running the blower. Checked for fuel. Got that. Its got spark. Vapor locked? Low battery voltage? 180-190 blower was on. It popped started and then died and just cranks.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Did it smell flooded? Sounds like it flooded. That temp seems high. Mine never gets above 150. Not sure what the northern guys run for thermostats but that seems high to me.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Redneckcustoms13
Did it smell flooded? Sounds like it flooded. That temp seems high. Mine never gets above 150. Not sure what the northern guys run for thermostats but that seems high to me.
so it runs great all day but will not restart. I think i have bad fuel. Is the fuel tank accessible? Is it able to be drained? It starts hard too. Long crank. However if i replace the water seperator it starts better. Anything you do if you have a bunch of bad fuel. I ran it to under a quarter tank.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Registered

Won't start as in it won't crank? Just clicks? Turns over slow? More info needed
Old 05-28-2018, 08:26 PM
Registered

Figures we wrote at the same time! Open the engine hatch basically under the back seat you will see the fuel line coming off the tank and going to the fuel filter. Remove the fitting in the tank and make sure the anti siphon valve is either removed or not stuck. if you have fuel and spark you have a fuel problem or dirty carb etc etc. First run of the year? ****ty fuel clogged up the carb is my best guess. Drain the filter into a clear glass and see if it seperates. Is your distributor tight? Timing could be off if you were messing with it by accident.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KMONEY306
Won't start as in it won't crank? Just clicks? Turns over slow? More info needed
sorry it cranks and cranks but no start. It has good spark and is getting fuel.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:32 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=racinjason15;4628816]

sorry it cranks and cranks but no start. It has good spark and is getting fuel. Once i get it running. Usually having to hold it wide open. It runs but i cant shut it off because it will not restart easily.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:41 PM
Registered

I'd go with bad fuel. See if it's water related or dirty. If you have the ability to pump out fuel do it. If it's a little water.... swap filters. Put in some sea foam or water remover and a small amount of high octane fuel and run it. To be exact run on a secondary fuel tank and see how it runs not on the boats internal tank
Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KMONEY306
Figures we wrote at the same time! Open the engine hatch basically under the back seat you will see the fuel line coming off the tank and going to the fuel filter. Remove the fitting in the tank and make sure the anti siphon valve is either removed or not stuck. if you have fuel and spark you have a fuel problem or dirty carb etc etc. First run of the year? ****ty fuel clogged up the carb is my best guess. Drain the filter into a clear glass and see if it seperates. Is your distributor tight? Timing could be off if you were messing with it by accident.
ok. I checked the distributor but never turned it. Ill remove the filter and drain for the fuel sample. You may be spot on to the crap fuel clogged the carb. And yes first run of the year.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Is it a stock 454?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.