What’s it worth? 1990 242ss

Notices
Formula

What’s it worth? 1990 242ss

Old 08-29-2018, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default I serviced that boat years ago

It originally owned by an Asian dr. That slipped it on the Charles. I did a sea trial for the next owner who was a mailman in billerica that kept it at a slip in east boston. I told that guy he needed risers one year and he didn't want to do them and he wrecked the motor a year later. He had another shop do the motor for him.... never saw the boat again except when I drove by his house in the winter where he stored it... anyhow. I had an 88 242ss bravo 7.4 on nice trailer no bottom paint ran mint. No salt sold cheap for 8500 3 years ago.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

So I bought the boat tonight. Just brought it home. Wasn’t able to get it running but will try this weekend. It needs a good cleaning. Motor looks great. Very little rust. Spins over nice. Oil is clean. Took breather out of valve cover. Heads looked really clean. All electrical works so need to get it fired up this weekend. Ended up getting it for $3000 with trailer. The guy had tons of receipts for work done
Old 08-30-2018, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Congrats! And cannot beat the price!
Old 08-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the 242 group. When you get to sorting it out, look in the direction fo the timing module first. I had a few weeks of tracking my brain on mine and almost changed the whole ignition when it was as simple as plugging in a new timing module and setting base timing.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet boat for sure have fun with it
Old 08-30-2018, 09:33 AM
Registered

I’m hoping to mess with it tonight. The guy I bought it from put an msd distributor in it when he couldn’t get spark but it came with generation 4 ignition parts so I will probably reinstall those and diagnose from there. I also noticed the the engine alarm is disconnected. The 2 tan/blue wires. Hoping that maybe has something to do with it if it might have an oil pressure cut out switch. I will let you know what I find. Can’t wait to drop it in the water
Old 08-30-2018, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

No LOPCO on these, the tan/blue wire is only a dash alarm oil pressure/water temp/low outdrive reservoir oil level (if equipped), no shut down.
The ignition trouble shooting guide has been posted many times, once within the past couple of weeks but I cannot remember the post. I think if you start at the beginning of RedNeck's thread it is in there also.
When redoing the ignition back to Merc Thunderbolt (the only way to go) remember ground, ground, ground everything and together.
Of course check the ignition switch and through the kill switch first for 12 V.
You will love the 242SS as they are Fairley rare compared to the LS and the cockpit is the size of most 32-35' boats. You will soon learn to HATE working in the bilge, the double stringers and raised false floor makes it a true PITA.
Congrats on the acquisition and keep us posted with your progress. Always feel free to ask questions the 242 family here is pretty tight.,
Good Luck
Old 08-30-2018, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

The MSD set up is simple. Is it using a ready to run distributor without the MSD box? If so, you just need power and ground. If using the MSD box, it may be bad. The system is easy to test.

The TB-IV is about the most reliable of all though.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Registered

It is a ready to run MSD. TESTED AND have 12volt at positive on coil but that’s all the time I had so far. Hopefully have time tonight to work on it. I will keep everyone posted when I figure it all out. And your right not much room in the engine bay and I’m 6’4”. Lol. I did find the test procedure for the gen iv ignition and few days ago and will run down that list
Old 08-30-2018, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I wanted to swap to something simple like an hei. Once I figured out the Tb iv I really like it. Simple, find the curve that fits your engine and never look back. I keep a spare module, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires in the berth just is case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.