Notices
Formula

Bought a Bird, Formula 330SS

Old 06-13-2019, 07:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Looking good. Nice find.

Last edited by SUPERSTITIOUS; 06-14-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:58 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Congrats! 330 SS was on our short list when we sold out at Clinton this spring and moved boating down to LOTO full time. I'd toss on a set of drive showers. Those BIII's will thank you for it! Where are you slipped at?
Big thunder formerly Glencove. Wouldn’t mind moving but probably not this season.

You know I’ve read the term drive shower a thousand times and never cared to look up what it is. If someone wants to rec a reasonable one I’ll look into it. I may have a gimble bearing or u-joint going out already. One is very slightly rough while running but it’s not perceptible to my normie friends, only me.

What boat do you have and where is it? You live in peoria or Bloomington right?
Old 06-14-2019, 05:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...a-drive-shower

this might help you understand what a drive shower is.

Good investment
Old 06-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

good find! I just got done doing the stereo on mine, and MAN what a difference. you'll find that when you get into it, you'll need to run new power and ground wire from the batteries to the amp closet, if yours came with factory kenwoods. formula used something like 10Ga wire...needs 2 or 4 at the most.

i replaced all of the factory speakers, 6.5's in the cabin, 6x9's in the helm area. i cut holes and did some platform 8" kicker marines so you can hear the music while floating. i also added two 10's under the helm seating, to get a more even sound.

last order was adding SeaDek on the platform, which brought the boat into the 21st century, and is HIGHLY recommended!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by badmonkey
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...a-drive-shower

this might help you understand what a drive shower is.

Good investment
Ok. I’ve seen one before and assumed that’s what it was. I didn’t know they were recommended even on lame stock 330hp setups though.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wakebum2507
good find! I just got done doing the stereo on mine, and MAN what a difference. you'll find that when you get into it, you'll need to run new power and ground wire from the batteries to the amp closet, if yours came with factory kenwoods. formula used something like 10Ga wire...needs 2 or 4 at the most.

i replaced all of the factory speakers, 6.5's in the cabin, 6x9's in the helm area. i cut holes and did some platform 8" kicker marines so you can hear the music while floating. i also added two 10's under the helm seating, to get a more even sound.

last order was adding SeaDek on the platform, which brought the boat into the 21st century, and is HIGHLY recommended!
mine has 4 6x9s across the back, one in the front left of cockpit, then the two cabin speakers (I’m assuming I haven’t looked at those). Those are running off an old 4 channel clarion marine amp. I didn’t touch any of this and it works well except that it’s much louder in the rear cockpit area.

there was also another clarion marine amp with speaker wire running into the port underseat compartment. Someone cut a big rectangle face into the side of this and made a nice starboard grill and put it over the face of this opening. There was no box in it when I got it. I replaced the two channel clarion marine amp there with 1x 600 w rms kicker D class and then absolutely wedged a box with 2 12s into that compartment. It looks like 8ga running to the batteries. It only works off one battery currently so I think that’s a good setup. The digital amps are very efficient so I’m comfortable with the little 600w amp. In fact I’d like to replace the 4 Chan clarion with a digital amp as well to lower the draw even more.

i then ripped out the old clarion head unit and disc changer. I replaced that with a Logitech BT adapter. I threw an inverted and 12v round plug up there to power this. I was using what I could scrounge at Columbia Best Buy. If id planned ahead more I’d have amazoned a little 12v to 5v inverter instead. Then I split the rcas out of this (splitter was there already) into both amps. Now my “head unit” is whatever phone is bluetoothed. The phone volume is now the stereo volume unless you play with amp gain knobs.

This whole setup only took me a day as I used most of the wiring present already. I scrounged the amp and subs from my friends basement and spent about $70 at Best Buy. Not gonna lie, I bought lots of tools too. It’s not perfect and not what I’d do if I was going all out with a lot of money and time. But it works and sounds great and generally gets louder than you’d want it. I’d still like more headroom on the top to go really loud. But I’m sure I’ll just with this for at least a year.

The two sad little sun faded remote clarion controls now have no purpose in life. Not sure what to with them.

There was a big basket of music CDs at Best Buy when I was checking out and I thought to myself it sure would be easier to pick 6 good ones lol. But now I have my 40gb of music and pandora or soundcloud or YouTube red readily available, which is quite nice.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wakebum2507

Do you have pics of your setup. I’m not sure if mine was stock, I’m guessing maybe half and half.

Last edited by hogie roll; 06-14-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a marine airr dometic unit I took out of my 400SS. Includes thermostat and cable. I have listed on EBAY for $800.00
Old 06-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
I have a marine airr dometic unit I took out of my 400SS. Includes thermostat and cable. I have listed on EBAY for $800.00
PM me, where are you located?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately I dont have any pics of my setup, and it wont let me post pictures unti i get to 10 posts on here, but if you google 330SS stereo, the first hit that surfaces is an OSO post, and what i replicated in my boat. the seadek i REALLY wish i got a pic of, becaus that updated the rear a ton.

I'll get stereo pics this weekend if I go up there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.