Full hydraulic steering install questions >

Full hydraulic steering install questions

Notices
Formula

Full hydraulic steering install questions

Old 04-21-2022, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I have said it on here many times. Full hydraulic steering is the single best upgrade you can do to a boat and is a necessity on any boat that runs over about 60mph.
The following users liked this post:
SabrToothSqrl (04-21-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
a deep V will wander at slow speeds. and boats, at low speed, are like steering a drunk cow. you give it a direction and eventually it turns, usually a few seconds later. It's normal. your learn to anticipate and correct steering/throttle with experience.

if you find yourself fighting the wheel constantly (at cruising speed) to keep it in a strait line, that's when you should look at options.
Then I guess my steering is working as it should. I can't say I ever felt the need to hold the steering wheel at speeds higher than 19mph.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the process of install full hydraulic system. All pieced together over several years. What are you guys getting for travel at end of prop shaft. I'm getting 8" left from center and 8" right from center. Trying to find out if that will be enough before drilling holes.
thanks
Old 05-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts

Tough question to answer without know what parts/system you have. I would think the 302 and 311 would be similar. My rams are positioned inside and just about in-line with my exhaust tips. I am also just a little bit above crankshaft centerline to accommodate the middle stringer. I was told my Latham that his was okay (key was not to go below). I used a template from Latham that was specifically for the TRS to drill my holes.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TomZ
Tough question to answer without know what parts/system you have. I would think the 302 and 311 would be similar. My rams are positioned inside and just about in-line with my exhaust tips. I am also just a little bit above crankshaft centerline to accommodate the middle stringer. I was told my Latham that his was okay (key was not to go below). I used a template from Latham that was specifically for the TRS to drill my holes.
Saw in your other thread that the boat is a 402 (sorry, have had the stomach flu all weekend and was just getting up). Shouldn’t make a difference because it’s based on drive spacing.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Saw in your other thread that the boat is a 402 (sorry, have had the stomach flu all weekend and was just getting up). Shouldn’t make a difference because it’s based on drive spacing.
TomZ inside parts are Latham, not sure what wingplate this is was told Latham? Rams are imco for trs set up

Old 05-01-2022, 05:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

TomZ inside parts are Latham, not sure what wingplate this is was told Latham? Rams are imco for trs set up

Old 05-02-2022, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

I have a little interference/contact from my Silent Thunder platform and the inner most hose elbow when the drives are trimmed for trailering...I would turn the cylinders/actuators over (elbows on bottom) to mitigate this issue.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chris302
I have Latham plates on mine and they’re a little closer to the cap. What I would do is mount the rams to the plates and extend one/collapse the other and see where the drives end up for turning side to side to see how much range you have. Really, they’re going to end up where the end up. Half the range and place against the hull. If they don’t work well enough on the inside, try outside (had to do this on the Bullet… we wanted inside but the rams we had were too long).