Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Distant Thunder 357SR1 - Winter Mods (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/369528-distant-thunder-357sr1-winter-mods.html)

distantthunder 12-01-2020 09:48 AM

Distant Thunder 357SR1 - Winter Mods

Happy December Formula Family,

I wanted to start a thread to document the changes I plan to make over the winter months. Now that the 357SR1 is officially winterized, I was able to get started over the weekend by removing the Silent Thunder Platform and pulling the tails off the engines to have the mufflers removed. The tails and swim platform go to the fabrication shop this week for repair/modification. Shout out to Prince Performance for selling me his platform from his 357SR1 that is currently under restoration.

As you may know, my 357SR1 is a lower hour boat that I picked up here locally in Maryland (~330 Hours) and I was able to put roughly ~50 Hours on her over the last part of summer. When I first picked up the boat, I gutted out the ST platform for some added noise therapy and put in a seven speaker MB Quart stereo system to replace the factory original Kenwood Stereo system.

Now fast forwarding to present time, the following is my hit list for the winter/spring prep:

1. Repair, Powder coat, and Install New Platform (12/20)

2. Fabricate, Powder coat, and Install Through Hull Beauty Plates (ST Removal revealed discoloration) (12/20)

3. Install New 4" Straight Cut Tips (12/20)

4. Remove factory Gil Mufflers from Tails (12/20)

5. Replace all bulbs with LED equivalents (1/21)

6. Respray Drives and Tabs (1/21)

7. Replace Port and Starboard Drive Indicator Cables (1/21)

8. Wet sand and polish transom gel coat (1/21)

9. Disassemble Port and Starboard Top Ends to replace head haskets/manifold gaskets (2/21)

10. Send heads out for cleaning (2/21)

11. Replace water circulator pumps (2/21)

12. Re-Rig Fresh Water Flush System (2/21)

13. New Batteries (3/21)

14. Replace and Re-Rig Fuel Pumps with HV Pumps and FIlters (3/21)

15. Install TBS 250 Low Profile Blowers (3/21)

16. Send 4x Holley 9022 Carbs to Nickerson (3/21)

17. Install V6 Modules (3/21)

18. Remove Windshield Trim for Black Powder coat (4/21)

19. Tint the Windshield (4/21)

20. Fabricate Custom Hatch for Blower Setup (4/21)

21. Overhaul Trailer (Polish Aluminum, Brakes, Tires, Lights, Coupler) (5/21)

22. New Rub rail (White with SS Insert) (Summer 2021)

23. Hydraulic Steering (Summer 2021)

23. New Gauges (Summer 2021)

Let the games begin! I am hoping to stay on schedule (and budget) so we shall see. I will be finished with my HD bagger this week and will also being building an Ez-Go golf cart on air ride for the 2021 camping season concurrently with the boat upgrades so I am looking forward to all these project. I will keep this up to date with some pictures/questions/comments and whatever else comes my way. I have been lurking the swap shop for blower setup parts and gauges waiting for some deals.

distantthunder 12-01-2020 09:51 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...fed300788.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...df8d938e5.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...e22236b6a.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...d90b299d4.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...91e03781b.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...71a6a99d6.jpeg

distantthunder 12-01-2020 09:53 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...fb8f07d63.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...1f338b0d2.jpeg

badmonkey 12-01-2020 05:26 PM

Josh,

do all of it....I'll be happy to help if needed....your boat is going to be amazing when you finish it.

distantthunder 12-01-2020 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by badmonkey (Post 4767546)
Josh,

do all of it....I'll be happy to help if needed....your boat is going to be amazing when you finish it.

Thanks Chris! I will keep you posted on progress, I am still eagerly waiting to see your new toy in person! Happy holidays buddy!

TomZ 12-02-2020 10:51 AM

Subscribed!

Seems like we’re all in the middle of projects.

TomZ 12-02-2020 10:51 AM

Happy Holidays guys!

distantthunder 12-02-2020 02:30 PM

The swim platform and tails were dropped off to my buddies fab shop today for repair and modification. Should have them back before Christmas. The platform, beauty rings, and windshield frame will then head to powder coat. Played with a rendering of the windshield today on the computer.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...9bb3abf7e.jpeg

TomZ 12-02-2020 03:01 PM

She’s going to look great, Josh. I want to do the same thing to my 311.

I mentioned this via text earlier, but I’d also like to get rid of the glass and use acrylic. The rough that we have here sometimes makes me a little worried about broken glass. It’s happened at some point with mine... I keep finding broken safety glass fragments in the bilge. Running frameless would be cool, too, but I think the compound curves would be hard to do. Or maybe not?

Smoke eater 12-02-2020 05:44 PM

🤤🤤🤤

Smoke eater 12-02-2020 06:20 PM

I’ll be of course following this along the way. Can’t wait to hear and see the progress.

distantthunder 12-03-2020 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by TomZ (Post 4767675)
She’s going to look great, Josh. I want to do the same thing to my 311.

I mentioned this via text earlier, but I’d also like to get rid of the glass and use acrylic. The rough that we have here sometimes makes me a little worried about broken glass. It’s happened at some point with mine... I keep finding broken safety glass fragments in the bilge. Running frameless would be cool, too, but I think the compound curves would be hard to do. Or maybe not?

Morning Tom!

Acrylic would be possible with the correct mold. Possibly remove the top cap rail of the windshield and use the remaining components for a mold. If you wanted a non-see through option, fiberglass or aluminum plate is always an option 😁

The is a couple guys up this way that used aluminum sheet metal to replace their windscreens on the old Baja hulls. Functional but dangerous option as well if someone were to hit or fall on it.

it’s always a risk taking there old birds apart and I am a bit nervous about disassembling the frame on her but I am hoping to use two or three helpers to ensure it’s a safe removal. Maybe the window tint will hold the glass together even more? 😁😁

I need to track down the correct gasket materials for the base and the glass, also the push-in rubber for the outer rail face. The originals have shrunk and faded. I plan to remove the windshield within the next two weeks that way everything (Platform, beauty rings, and windshield frame) can go to powder coat at the same time and reduce some overall costs.

I also needs to find a machine shop here locally for the heads, taking recommendations.....

ph1971 12-03-2020 06:54 AM

Subscribed! I’m ready for not so distant thunder, good luck

distantthunder 12-03-2020 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ph1971 (Post 4767740)
Subscribed! I’m ready for not so distant thunder, good luck

Haha! You and me both buddy!

F14A water jet 12-03-2020 09:16 AM

Subscribed! Good luck!

distantthunder 12-10-2020 03:29 PM

Afternoon everyone! No real updates to be had other than the following:

1. The beauty rings for the transom are cut out and will be picked up tomorrow for measurement/marking needed for the bend on the out board tips since the transom is curved.
2. I plan on pulling the windshield this Sunday since it will be sunny and 62F outside that way all metal will go to powder coat at one time.
3. The tails go into surgery tomorrow for muffler removal
4. I have decided to update the exterior graphics on the boat, I will share those details later :) (the rendering is done and I am super excited).
5. I probably will head over to DNR next week and finally register the boat so I can put the registration numbers on the front when I order the new graphics.
6. Does anyone know the easiest place to find the V6 Modules? Should I just order them from Mercruiser?
7. Parts search continues, I appreciate the leads (Smoke Eater, and TomZ) from the Swap Shop. I think I am going to purchase the blowers brand new and spoil myself but if anyone comes across two Holley 9022 carbs, let me know!

I hope everyone has a great weekend and I will update with pictures next week!

TomZ 12-10-2020 03:57 PM

Go roller and buy my cams. 650 hp on what’s essentially 420 long blocks in Wayne’s Bullet. I’ll send you a pic of the dyno sheets. That’s with 250 B&Ms and twin 850s each side, 500 efi cams (169621). You’ll probably make a little more with the TBS set up because they’ll be new and they’re a newer design.

Before you take the top-end apart, get compression and leak-down numbers so you know what you’re dealing with.

Take pics of the windshield coming off!

Still working on the slides. Can you measure yours this weekend?

I’m picking up the first short block tomorrow or Monday. Woohoo!

Smoke eater 12-10-2020 06:25 PM

So I’m starting to think it’s gonna be unavailable to me next year haha!!! Your gonna be too much in love to part ways!!!

distantthunder 12-11-2020 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke eater (Post 4768877)
So I’m starting to think it’s gonna be unavailable to me next year haha!!! Your gonna be too much in love to part ways!!!

Haha, everything is always for sale buddy!

Smoke eater 12-11-2020 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by distantthunder (Post 4768955)
Haha, everything is always for sale buddy!

lol now you sound like me haha

Alwhite00 12-14-2020 04:42 AM

Subscribed. Beautiful boat.

distantthunder 12-16-2020 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Alwhite00 (Post 4769154)
Subscribed. Beautiful boat.

thanks buddy!

distantthunder 12-16-2020 07:26 PM

Hello Formula Family!

Unfortunately I did not get as much done as anticipated on Sunday due to my college finals (yes, ended up going back to school last year, taking up a lot of spare time these days) and a flat on the trailer when I pulled her from storage but I am picking up the beauty plates tomorrow and the modified tail pipes. I was also able to located a local tint professional for the glass pieces but the weather was crap this week here in Maryland.

I did finish the rear air ride and I shortened the frame 6” on my golf cart build though so that was an accomplishment. Here she is all aired out and chopped.

More progress to come on the boat this weekend, stay tuned - and warm!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...f9c0944d2.jpeg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...90f31a111.jpeg

distantthunder 12-17-2020 03:46 PM

Muffler delete complete.....

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...5fbd1c1d1.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...a09c037c2.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...73b36e85f.jpeg

TomZ 12-17-2020 04:20 PM

I think those Lightnings are looking pretty good there my friend! These Gil pipes just seem a little weird to me.

Smoke eater 12-17-2020 04:29 PM

Looking good josh! Gonna make it sound not so distant!!!

badmonkey 12-18-2020 04:36 AM

Josh, what do you anticipate you will be running for speed when you’re finished. Seems like Ole “Distant Thunder “ will be rolling out pretty good. Can’t wait to see it finished.

Chris

distantthunder 12-19-2020 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by badmonkey (Post 4769590)
Josh, what do you anticipate you will be running for speed when you’re finished. Seems like Ole “Distant Thunder “ will be rolling out pretty good. Can’t wait to see it finished.

Chris

Happy Saturday Chris! I am hoping to hit the 70 MPH mark, I would be happy with that, it feels like that should be attainable.

distantthunder 12-19-2020 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by TomZ (Post 4769541)
I think those Lightnings are looking pretty good there my friend! These Gil pipes just seem a little weird to me.

Yes Tom, definitely odd. Like we were talking about yesterday, the inner and outer pipes meet at the end of the tail so the mad scientist and I are trying to figure out how to correct that with me having to replace the whole exhaust system.

I think I figured it out last night while laying in bed, I just need to draw it up, I am thinking of tug welding the inner and outer pipes where they meet at the end of the tail, then welding in a stainless 4” to 3.5” reducer piece and a length of 3.5” pipe to get the inner pipe of the tail to the transom. Then I would slide a 4” piece of stainless tubing over that until it contacts the should of the 4” reducer then welding that seam. I would then plug the three factory water holes and weld a saddle bung to both outer pipe sections to connect the water via a small section of hose. This would give me dry exhaust to the thru hull tips and dump the water prior to exit around the inner circumference.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...ae12bf62c.jpeg

Smoke eater 12-30-2020 12:53 PM

Any updates?

Smoke eater 01-16-2021 10:01 AM

Any updates?

distantthunder 01-19-2021 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke eater (Post 4773494)
Any updates?

Hey Rob, nothing big to report the weather hasn’t cooperated and I decided to renovate my first floor of the house this January. However, the beauty plates are done for the transom, the platform repairs will be done this week and the windshield will be pulled within the next week so everything will go to the powdercoater the first week of February. I have also received the carbs for the blower setups and are sending them to Nickerson for rebuild and setup. The graphics and lettering are also designed and on order, I just need to go pick them up from Delaware.

I had a curveball this month with two flat tires on the trailer and an unexpected IRS bill from almost ten years ago so I had to bite the bullet and readjust some finances for January but February is going to be hot and heavy on the boat. Stay Tuned! I saw you’re scoping that 382!

Smoke eater 01-20-2021 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by distantthunder (Post 4773996)
Hey Rob, nothing big to report the weather hasn’t cooperated and I decided to renovate my first floor of the house this January. However, the beauty plates are done for the transom, the platform repairs will be done this week and the windshield will be pulled within the next week so everything will go to the powdercoater the first week of February. I have also received the carbs for the blower setups and are sending them to Nickerson for rebuild and setup. The graphics and lettering are also designed and on order, I just need to go pick them up from Delaware.

I had a curveball this month with two flat tires on the trailer and an unexpected IRS bill from almost ten years ago so I had to bite the bullet and readjust some finances for January but February is going to be hot and heavy on the boat. Stay Tuned! I saw you’re scoping that 382!

I'm so back and forth. Ill be honest I was dead set on your boat. But I'm glad your updating it and keeping it for yourself. I've decided that I love Lake Michigan boating and we just need a bigger boat to enjoy it all the time then the 272. So I might be parting with it at some point. I'm so back and forth on what I want to get. I like the price point and the looks of the old heavy 357........ But at the same time like some of the features if I found them AC/Generator on a 382, or do I completely go crazy and get a 38 cig top gun. The top gun has always been a dream boat of mine but it might be just that a dream..... I have my eye on a top gun and possibly that 382 but waiting further details. An old 357 is not out of the question if it had bravos and some other upgrades I think I would go that direction and maybe save some coin. The 500/525 EFI motors look very appealing to me for some reason. Just not sure what I want to do. Supposedly my buddy wants my 272 something fierce..... So if I find the right boat I might be selling it to him. But we shall see. What did you end up deciding on graphics. shoot me a text with what you went with. Ill be happy to see how the boats coming along.

distantthunder 01-20-2021 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke eater (Post 4774052)
I'm so back and forth. Ill be honest I was dead set on your boat. But I'm glad your updating it and keeping it for yourself. I've decided that I love Lake Michigan boating and we just need a bigger boat to enjoy it all the time then the 272. So I might be parting with it at some point. I'm so back and forth on what I want to get. I like the price point and the looks of the old heavy 357........ But at the same time like some of the features if I found them AC/Generator on a 382, or do I completely go crazy and get a 38 cig top gun. The top gun has always been a dream boat of mine but it might be just that a dream..... I have my eye on a top gun and possibly that 382 but waiting further details. An old 357 is not out of the question if it had bravos and some other upgrades I think I would go that direction and maybe save some coin. The 500/525 EFI motors look very appealing to me for some reason. Just not sure what I want to do. Supposedly my buddy wants my 272 something fierce..... So if I find the right boat I might be selling it to him. But we shall see. What did you end up deciding on graphics. shoot me a text with what you went with. Ill be happy to see how the boats coming along.

Haha, Love the world of boating! Always something new on the horizon! That 382 Is a nice setup, just odd how the pictures are posted. I would love to have a newer Formula but after riding in my cousin's, it doesn't have the feel of the older SR1's, the bolsters felt taller almost like sitting on a bar stool and the fuel injected gave me a disconnected feeling to the engines when running in the rough, although it would be something to get used to, I just can't help but love the fit and finish of the older Formulas and the old mechanical technology of the engines, to each is their own. Blue motors have always interested me but I feel like any used boat with blue engines will require a top end service within the first or second season - unless already done upon purchase. The Top Guns I feel are on anyone's bucket list - TomZ always mentioned finding a Cigarette to replace his 311 :) Having the TRS drives on this boat does not make me miss the Bravo setup, especially around the docks. Still a lot of time until boating season, I can't wait to get mine finished up.

TomZ 01-20-2021 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke eater (Post 4774052)

Obviously, the Top Gun is an iconic legend, but in my opinion I just don't think you can really get the comfort of the 382 in a Top Gun without serious customization. I feel the 382 has such a nice cabin, and for family go-fast boating, it really has a lot of the competition beat. And if you can get into a FasTech, you can really run some ridiculous speeds with the right power (either 700 SCi NXTs or Imors 725 Indy's will run solidly into the 90's). Great boats.

TomZ 01-20-2021 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by distantthunder (Post 4774054)
Haha, Love the world of boating! Always something new on the horizon! That 382 Is a nice setup, just odd how the pictures are posted. I would love to have a newer Formula but after riding in my cousin's, it doesn't have the feel of the older SR1's, the bolsters felt taller almost like sitting on a bar stool and the fuel injected gave me a disconnected feeling to the engines when running in the rough, although it would be something to get used to, I just can't help but love the fit and finish of the older Formulas and the old mechanical technology of the engines, to each is their own. Blue motors have always interested me but I feel like any used boat with blue engines will require a top end service within the first or second season - unless already done upon purchase. The Top Guns I feel are on anyone's bucket list - TomZ always mentioned finding a Cigarette to replace his 311 :) Having the TRS drives on this boat does not make me miss the Bravo setup, especially around the docks. Still a lot of time until boating season, I can't wait to get mine finished up.

I've got a Cigarette here (Wayne's Bullet). While the Cigarettes are more "racy" and one day I may end up with one (probably Wayne's at some point), I'm finding that my 311 with her comfort and room just appeals to me a little more than the Cigarette's raciness (the new power I'm building for the old girl isn't hurting either). I don't see myself leaving the Formula family anytime soon!

**Adding that even if the Cigarette winds up here in the next few years, I do not see myself leaving the Formula family.

Smoke eater 01-20-2021 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by TomZ (Post 4774061)

Obviously, the Top Gun is an iconic legend, but in my opinion I just don't think you can really get the comfort of the 382 in a Top Gun without serious customization. I feel the 382 has such a nice cabin, and for family go-fast boating, it really has a lot of the competition beat. And if you can get into a FasTech, you can really run some ridiculous speeds with the right power. 700's (either 700 SCi NXTs or Imors 725 Indy's will run solidly into the 90's). Great boats.

See that's where I'm at and the formula family makes me want to stay. Not saying the Cig family wouldn't welcome me. but I've just loved the formula. Josh your right the old birds have a special feel about them which is why I'm partial to them. The cig looks great but the formula has those comfort features that I think would be more for my family in its present state. Only downfall to that 382 is no generator and no a/c not a deal breaker cause I could always find it and add it. But one thing that I wish it did have was a trailer and bottom and drive pics lol. Would make it easier to decide. I know I could always get a trailer just would be more helpful in my decision making to have one already. It seems to me that no boat will be the exact way you want it and were all gonna make the changes we want to.

distantthunder 02-12-2021 04:36 PM

Happy Friday Everyone! The time has come to move the Formula out of storage and get busy on the projects. Unfortunately, the house renovation, side business, and Harley build came first but all are coming to a close within the next week so I can focus on Distant Thunder.

Here is where everything stands, need to get the new tires on the trailer so I can move her to the house and remove the windshield frame. The swim platform repairs are complete and I picked it up on Wednesday, the exhaust tips have arrived and are being polished next week. Once the boat is out of storage, I will remove the frame and all the components are headed to the powder coater, the colors have been selected.

The tail pipe modification components went on order today and should arrive next week. I need to research where to put the water connection nipples between the riser and the tail extension, I think I recall Tom Z stating the bottom side of the pipe, but I could be backwards.

Time to start getting excited.

TomZ 02-12-2021 07:44 PM

Connections are on the top side of the pipes. Low will create hot spots because the water will flow through path of least resistance. Connections at the top will force flooding of the chambers.

Stay safe and healthy! Stacy and I caught the virus... I've had my ass handed to me this week.

distantthunder 03-01-2021 04:51 PM

Alrighty, here's the skinny.

Metal has been received for the tail pipe modification. Pictures coming soon.

I decided to upgrade the audio on my Harley so I have been working on that since the weather has been crap for the last two months.

I am hopeful for a break in the weather, I am itching to get busy on the boat.