292 fastech

Notices
Formula

292 fastech

Old 03-01-2021, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 292 fastech

hello all. im buying my first formula. its got the twin 6.2 320 hp mercs. took it for test run and other than the bowrise, the thing is like driving a tank. any advice or quirks on these would be greatly appriciated. thanks!!
The following users liked this post:
distantthunder (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

There's about 0.002 sq ft of storage on these things. Other than that, it's a great boat. Ohh, and the ladder on all Formula's is crap. Also the anchor "locker" is crap.
I have a 2001 w/350s. Replaced the 350s last winter, and did external IMCO steering this winter. (previous owner was a piece of...)

I would have preferred the 6.2s, but at the time thought I got a good deal on mine.
Overall, I like the boat, it cuts the chop, we cruise at 42 (slowest speed on plane where it doesn't fall off plane when you hit chop). to save fuel. But It will touch 60 something (i'd have to go look to see if I have a log). I like that I can run 42 all day, 45, 50 if I want to burn some gas, etc.

I like how I can hold 42/45 mph even in rough water that would have wrecked my last boat. Standing up is a game changer for going fast.
Knowing what I know now, next boat, I want more storage, more room to walk around, and outboards. I've had my fill of engine bays.
The looks are great. I'm not a fan of Formula's flippy/foldy rear seat mechanism.

Would I buy one again? Probably, but I'd be more careful about inspecting it before I handed over the cash.
I knew I wanted twins, I knew I wanted around 30'. I knew I wanted bolster seats.
It was one of very few boats that met those requirements.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 03-01-2021 at 02:59 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SabrToothSqrl:
1999baja (03-07-2022), distantthunder (03-01-2021), rak rua (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I have always pondered the newer 292 so I look forward to the feedback.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The starboard battery is dedicated to the starboard engine - it does not need to be a deep cycle battery since it is just for cranking.
The port battery runs all the systems on the boat and needs to be a deep cycle.
There is a "Parallel" switch for the batteries under the rear seat. This is used to temporarily "jump" the port engine if the port battery was run low playing music or whatever. Never leave the parallel switch on, always turn it off after the engines are cranked.

Immediately remove the anchor and chain from the anchor locker - rough seas will destroy your anchor locker otherwise. I leave only the anchor rode in the locker and drop anchor from the side of the boat.

If you don't have full hydraulic steering I guarantee you will be wanting it bad - and it cost about $7k to have professionally installed IF everything goes well. Play in the wheel feels very dicey at 50 mph in rough seas.
The following users liked this post:
1999baja (03-07-2022)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

I did the steering this winter: IMCO Uni Mount Steering Install - 292 FasTech

Can't wait to try it this spring! my steering was looser than (Insert inappropriate joke here). These boats should never have been sold without full hydro steering!
Old 03-02-2021, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 506 Likes on 201 Posts

What year boat?
This is what I did to mine. I removed the Bennett ST12 trim tabs (12x12) and after talking with Bennett, they drilled the ST16 tabs (12x16) that I purchaced so I didn't have to drill new holes for the backing plates or actuators. By doing this, I added over a third of a square ft per tab. You can buy just the TABS on line and if you're set up, drill the holes yourself. It's some tough stainless though. I then **** canned the Bravo 1, 28P props which are around 14-3/4 inch diameter and dropped down to a 26P prop 15 inch Diameter. With the Tabs down and drives in, I can travel at 25 mph and not have the ass end sink/come off plain. By changing the props, I also decreased my prop slip by almost 1/2 at the 30-35 mph range. This is the speed I operate most of the time. Also when idling with the tabs up and drives in, when accelerating, it hops right on plane. Then I trim out to 2.5 or 3 and run it..... I max out at 67mph with a full tank, coolers, etc. 70 mph with a light load.

Do you have CATS? The problem with CATS is that the cooling passages are TINY. If you're in salt or brackish water and don't flush the engines, you will be replacing the COMPLETE manifold systems at great cost. HOWEVER, you could then purchase aluminum manifolds and Stainless risers. This would lighten the ass end by around 300 lbs! That's the weight of about a 46 gallons of gas.....Also 2, O2 sensor eliminators would be needed for the rear O2 sensors.

Do you have Captains Call from CORSA? I say CORSA because that is what I have. Although the problem is NOT with them.. Does the Amp meter decrease showing a discharge when you switch from Port/Stbd or visa-versa with CORSA energized? But if CORSA is de-energized, both port/stbd show a charge around 14.5 volts on the amp gauge? I have a fix for that......
Old 03-02-2021, 01:12 PM
Registered

thank you for the input folks. im writing all this down so i dont forget. i have hydraulic steering on my fountain and love it. hope it has it on this one....it seems the negatives are comming out.....lol
Old 03-02-2021, 01:17 PM
Registered

its a 2008